Letter to the editor: Sheriff race

Hello,

My name is Timothy Davis and I would like to take this opportunity to announce my candidacy for Sheriff in the upcoming election for the City of Williamsburg and the County of James City.

I think the William and Mary student body is an asset to the city of Williamsburg and its economy. They represent almost a third of the population of the city and they need to be treated as residents who have a stake in the city and its well-being. As evidence of this, Scott Foster was elected to city council as a new student candidate and for the last several years has worked to benefit the students and the citizens of Williamsburg. His leadership on the city council is a direct reflection of the education he received from William and Mary.

After careful consideration and feedback from our local community and law enforcement professionals, I wish to apply my training, experience, knowledge, and education to the Williamsburg/James City County Sheriff’s Office.

I was instrumental in working with Williamsburg drawing up policies for active shooter situations. I was also liaison officer between Williamsburg and William and Mary and worked closely with Chief Donald Challis.

I have lived in both James City County and the City of Williamsburg for the past (25) years with my lovely wife. I recently retired from law enforcement after (22) years of service and I am the proud father of three wonderful children. After careful consideration and feedback from our local community and law enforcement professionals, I wish to apply my training, experience, knowledge, and education to the Williamsburg/James City County Sheriff’s Office.

I obtained a bachelor’s degree in accounting from West Virginia Tech University in 1988. I later moved to Virginia and became a Deputy with the York County Sheriff’s Office in 1992. I then transferred to the Williamsburg Police Department where I rose to the rank of Lieutenant. In 2011, I transferred to the New Kent County Sheriff’s Office before retiring in 2014.

For 20 years, I have had the opportunity to not only coach various sports, but also teach life and civic duties to the youth in our community.

I have held numerous certifications as a law enforcement officer and I have served as an instructor in areas such as: Active Shooter, Drug Enforcement, Firearms, Advanced Search and Seizure, Driving, and Bike Patrol. As a shift Lieutenant, I managed a squad of (4) to (5) police officers responsible for the safety of the entire City of Williamsburg that encompassed (12) square miles and a diverse population of over 12,000 people not including visiting tourists.

As a community volunteer, I have taken great pride in coaching the girl’s softball team at Bruton and Lafayette High Schools, several youth baseball teams, as well as football with Toano Middle School and the Williamsburg Hornet organization. For 20 years, I have had the opportunity to not only coach various sports, but also teach life and civic duties to the youth in our community.

I received numerous awards and commendations during my years of service to include the Outstanding Deputy Award (York County), Officer of the Year (Williamsburg PD), MADD award for DUI enforcement, and a Community Service award from James City Parks and Rec.

I am confident that my experience as a law enforcement manager, my education, and my training will allow me to lead this Sheriff’s Office into a transparent, fiscally responsible, and bright future of continued community service.

While the current Sheriff has done an excellent job protecting our local courthouse, it is my belief that our outstanding deputies have more to offer the community. During these difficult fiscal times, it is apparent that local government must do more with less. The Sheriff’s Office top priorities should continue to be the safety and security of the courthouse along with ensuring smooth civil processes for our community. However, it is also clear that our deputies want and should take on a more active role in supporting our hard working and dedicated local police departments. I am confident that my experience as a law enforcement manager, my education, and my training will allow me to lead this Sheriff’s Office into a transparent, fiscally responsible, and bright future of continued community service.

I look forward to meeting with the community to outline my plan to accomplish these goals. As a husband, father, and retired law enforcement professional, I believe it is important to have an open and honest discussion on how we manage our local law enforcement professionals. I look forward to the coming weeks and months as I hope to meet as many of our citizens as possible to hear your experiences and gain your input.

Sincerely,

Timothy Davis

Email Tim Davis at davis4sheriff@verizon.net