Basketball: Women defeat American, men beat Hampton in Kaplan doubleheader

Editor’s note: Games occurred Nov. 25, 2015.

With the majority of students off campus for Thanksgiving Break, both William and Mary basketball teams stayed behind in Williamsburg, Va. to host a doubleheader Wednesday night in Kaplan Arena. The women’s squad opened the evening with a 62-51 victory over American, while the men completed the sweep by defeating Hampton 86-67.

Coming off a nail-biting 62-61 win at Loyola two days prior, the Tribe (4-1) came out strong against the winless Eagles (0-5), opening up a 36-24 lead by halftime. The College established the advantage by getting to the free throw line and converting its opportunities at the charity stripe. William and Mary hit 15 of 16 free throws, and while American was a perfect four of four, the 11-point difference at the line was in fact the final margin between the teams.

The Tribe offense was led by junior guard Marlena Tremba, who poured in 22 points on six of 10 shooting from the floor, as well as knocking down all eight of her free throw attempts.

“I had two rough shooting games the past two games, especially from the free throw line,” Tremba told Tribe Athletics. “I was happy to get my confidence back, and hit the shots tonight.”

We need to share the ball,” Swanson told Tribe Athletics. “We can’t have one person dominating the ball and taking 20 shots … In order for us to be good we’ve got to spread the offense out. We’re not going to be able to just feed one person, and we have players that can score in a variety of different ways.”

Tremba had plenty of help, with three other Tribe players scoring double figures. Freshman Bianca Boggs continued an impressive beginning to her collegiate career, contributing 12 points and five rebounds, while sophomore guard Jenna Green and junior forward Alexandra Masaquel scored 10 points apiece. After the game, head coach Ed Swanson spoke about the team’s versatility on the offensive end.

“We need to share the ball,” Swanson told Tribe Athletics. “We can’t have one person dominating the ball and taking 20 shots … In order for us to be good we’ve got to spread the offense out. We’re not going to be able to just feed one person, and we have players that can score in a variety of different ways.”

Great win, especially heading into the holidays,” Swanson told Tribe Athletics. “I told the team I think the turkey will taste better tomorrow after a win.”

William and Mary had a strong night on the defensive end as well, forcing 14 turnovers and collecting 10 steals while holding the Eagles to a 36.8 percent shooting percentage. While American did win the second half, the Tribe’s early lead was too much to overcome, and the hosts triumphed 62-51.

“Great win, especially heading into the holidays,” Swanson told Tribe Athletics. “I told the team I think the turkey will taste better tomorrow after a win.”

The nightcap featured plenty more scoring than the first game, but nonetheless the same result, as the College’s men’s squad outlasted Hampton, the third team the Tribe has played this season who made the NCAA Tournament last year, 86-67 with a lights-out shooting performance.

William and Mary (4-2) poured in the most points they have all season, topping the 85-spot they put on North Carolina State to open the season and Washington Adventist in the home opener last week. The second half was nothing short of a clinic, with the Tribe hitting 54.5 percent of its field goal attempts, including a blistering seven of 10 from three-point range.

Junior guards Daniel Dixon and Omar Prewitt were the catalysts for the dominant offensive display, each pouring in 22 points, shooting a combined 15 of 23 from the floor. After the game head coach Tony Shaver praised the play of his two wings.

“Omar’s really playing at a high level,” Shaver told Tribe Athletics. “He’s a young guy that when he locks in is a terrific player … [Daniel] played a terrific all-around game tonight, might have been his best game in a Tribe uniform. The scoring’s beautiful, love to see that, but Daniel defended tonight like it really mattered.”

Terry hasn’t shot the ball well this year, and it was nice to see him make some shots,” Shaver told Tribe Athletics. “But I think Terry realizes that his greatest contribution for this club isn’t scoring. It’s defending, it’s rebounding, it’s assists … what a performance.”

Prewitt, who had a double-double with 10 rebounds to go along with his double-digit scoring numbers, and Dixon were joined in double figures by senior forward Terry Tarpey and sophomore guard David Cohn. Cohn scored 10 points all coming from the foul line, while Tarpey also had a double-double with his 13 points and 17 rebounds, a career-high.

“Terry hasn’t shot the ball well this year, and it was nice to see him make some shots,” Shaver told Tribe Athletics. “But I think Terry realizes that his greatest contribution for this club isn’t scoring. It’s defending, it’s rebounding, it’s assists … what a performance.”

While the Tribe defense didn’t create a lot of turnovers, it was able to hold the Pirates (2-2), who were without leading scorer Quinton Chievous, to a modest 33.3 percent shooting percentage, constantly contesting shots and blocking 13 as well. The reigning Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference champions kept up with the Tribe in the second half, but were unable to trim the College’s 15-point halftime lead, and William and Mary celebrated the 86-67 victory to start the season a perfect 2-0 at Kaplan Arena.

Editor’s note: Games occured Nov. 25. Since, men’s basketball fell to Howard and defeated ODU and women’s basketball defeated Delaware State.