Best of the Burg: Fancy food for the family

The Blue Talon Bistro has been voted “Best Restaurant You Can’t Afford” in this year’s Best of the ’Burg. In recent years, Blue Talon has been voted “Best Pricey Eats” and “Best Dessert,” by The Flat Hat staff and stands aloft as one of the priciest restaurants in the Williamsburg area.

With family weekend long gone and wallets slowly being emptied in the holiday shopping spirit, the free peanut samples next door may present themselves as a more affordable meal for students. However, students can still navigate the Blue Talon menu to find affordable and delicious options.

Throw that crumpled $10 bill at a simple lunch starter plate like the French onion gratinee or chilled gazpacho. For dinner, the day your parents pick you up for winter break is the ideal time to ask the waiter for steak frites or a duck confit salad with the country style plate. The chocolate mousse is a crowd pleaser, and is filling enough to share with your parents after you’ve filled up on the mac and cheese.

The chocolate mousse is a crowd pleaser, and is filling enough to share with your parents after you’ve filled up on the mac and cheese.

Students whose parents don’t visit the ’Burg often or who don’t want to shell out tons of money can take advantage of the restaurant’s offer of a free dinner on a customer’s birthday.

But if the walk from Botetourt to the Bistro is just too far or if you need to kill time before your parents pick you up, you can settle down in Sadler and tune in to the Blue Talon’s own Spotify playlist to hear the chefs’ picks from Van Morrison to Michael Buble.