Women’s gymnastics: College drops tight match at West Virginia

William and Mary suffered a disappointing setback Sunday against West Virginia, falling 195.800-190.075 to the Mountaineers.

The Tribe received a strong showing from its upperclassmen. Senior Brittany Stover placed third in all-around with 48.325. She went on to record a squad-best 9.800 on the floor and a 9.700 on vault. Junior Olivia O’Connor had the highest score on the beams with 9.675, and also finished second on the team for the floor event with a 9.725. Sophomore Eileen Malecki led the team in the bars events with a score of 9.700, and fellow sophomore Monica Ouellet was close behind with a 9.625.

Junior Olivia O’Connor had the highest score on the beams with 9.675, and also finished second on the team for the floor event with a 9.725.

The floor event was kind to the College Sunday, as Stover, O’Connor, and junior Briana Gironda notched scores over 9.700. All three competed in every event at the meet, and carried the Tribe with their consistency in all four events.

The College had large contributions from its freshman group on the vault, as Sophie Harris and Katie Webber earned 9.55 and 9.65 in that event.

Following the loss, William and Mary will now prepare for five straight meets with multiple opponents, starting with a quad meet at San Jose State Friday. They will then compete in several invitationals, including the Temple Ken Anderson Invitational Feb. 6 and the Sweetheart Invitational on Valentine’s Day weekend.