Women’s basketball: Sophomore center Abby Rendle out for remainder of season

Sophomore center and lead average scorer Abby Rendle will be out of competition for the remainder of the 2015-16 season due to injury, according to a statement released by William and Mary this afternoon.

The injury, which affects Rendle’s ankle, will require Rendle to miss the final 11 regular season games, the Colonial Athletic Association tournament and any postseason play. The statement did not include whether Rendle would require surgery.

Losing Abby is difficult, but we have to move forward,” Swanson told Tribe Athletics.  “Adversity is something all teams face in the course of a season.   We will find out a lot about the make up of our roster and see who rises up to the opportunity to replace her minutes and production.”

The news is a huge loss to the team. Less than a week ago, Rendle completed the Tribe’s first triple-double in program history at home against North Carolina — Wilmington.  She led the team in average points per game at 13.2 and is second in total points with 224 for the season. Rendle also leads the College in defensive rebounds at 91 and blocks at 53. She was on pace to break last season’s 68 blocks, which were a freshman program record she broke in the 2015 CAA Quarterfinals. She was awarded her first CAA player of the week honor Monday after her performance against UNCW. Head coach Ed Swanson gave a statement to Tribe Athletics earlier today.

“Losing Abby is difficult, but we have to move forward,” Swanson told Tribe Athletics.  “Adversity is something all teams face in the course of a season.   We will find out a lot about the make up of our roster and see who rises up to the opportunity to replace her minutes and production.”

Junior forward Kasey Curtis is the presumed candidate to take Rendle’s place in the starting lineup, splitting time with freshman center Chandler Smith. Curtis played in 22 minutes of the Delaware game and finished with 8 points, while Smith saw 18 minutes of action in the same contest but did not score.

The Tribe continues its season Friday night at Kaplan Arena against Charleston. Tip-off is at 7 p.m.

Editor’s Note: Rendle’s injury is from slipping on a patch of ice, not from basketball.