Coming to a theater near you!

The Meridian Coffeehouse Review

|

February 8, 2016

It’s hard to support a consistent music scene on a college campus. The population is constantly changing because most people don’t intend to stay for more than a few years. As a result any musical project involving multiple people, particularly people of different ages, faces having its lineup scrambled by graduations.

Despite this, college campuses provide opportunities for the young and creative to meet and work with people from different backgrounds with diverse influences and experiences.

The music scene at the College of William & Mary has all these features but with the added disadvantage of a relatively small population to draw from. While Williamsburg’s musical output is more modest than that of a Charlottesville or an Athens, it has managed to produce several bands that have made a splash beyond the confines of James City County.

There’s plenty of opportunities to play live shows in and around campus.
The rise of online platforms for music distribution has dulled the need for artists to live in a major city to pick up buzz and acclaim. For acts that haven’t quite felt the need to dream that high yet, there’s plenty of opportunities to play live shows in and around campus. Organizations like AMP & The Front Porch Society do a lot of work to organize events involving live music, featuring both local and touring bands. The Meridian Coffeehouse also hosts live music on a more consistent basis, every weekend.

For the purpose of this blog, I’m going to use the Meridian’s weekly shows as a guide for taking an organized look at the campus music scene, with a focus on other musical events as they occur. I’ll also include a feature on a local musician that’s making waves around W&M with links to upcoming performances & recorded music.

While there isn’t as much live Hip-Hop on W&M’s campus as I’d like, Daniel is a talent we’re lucky to have.
This weekend the Meridian sees the return of J Uzu, Charles Diamond & William & Mary’s own, Daniel Conover.  While there isn’t as much live Hip-Hop on W&M’s campus as I’d like, Daniel is a talent we’re lucky to have. In his Soundcloud recordings, he goes in over hazy cloud-rap beats while alternating between a playful rapping flow & a futuristic autotuned croon that showcases his sense of melody. My favorite track is the heartfelt declaration of affection, “I Love You”.

Be sure to stop by the Meridian Coffeehouse on 206 South Boundary Street on Friday, February 5th to see one of William & Mary’s hottest up and coming rappers!

Till I see you again,

Kenny

College struggles to fill Tribe Square
Returning to St Andrews
Come to DataCraft 2016

• Kenny Revoredo