Coming to a theater near you!

The Meridian Coffeehouse Review

|

February 13, 2016

If you attended the excellent Hip-Hop show last weekend, I’m sure you’re already trying to find out which on campus acts are performing at the Meridian this weekend. If that’s you, then you’re in for a pleasant surprise. On this most blessed Valentine’s Day weekend, the Meridian is hosting not one, not three, but TWO special events! While neither event is in the mold of a typical Meridian show, they both promise to deliver the same trademark energy in their own unique ways.

On this most blessed Valentine’s Day weekend, the Meridian is hosting not one, not three, but TWO special events!

On Saturday February 13, you can catch a glimpse at the darkness of the human soul while moving & shaking to your heart’s content at the Meridian’s Goth Dance Party. In the tradition of dance events hosted here previously, the Goth Dance Party will feature live DJing from WCWM Disc Jockeys & Cool Tastemakers, Zach Weinstein & Matt Arnold. It all runs from 8 at night until about 10 so you can dance out your demons before wandering out to see what Saturday night has to offer you.

If dancing makes you nervous & you’re dying to see someone pick up an instrument and make it sing, there’s something for you this week too! On Thursday February 11, the Meridian is putting on the second installment of its Got You Covered series. This time the show will be a tribute to alt-rock legends, Weezer & the best bands on campus are coming to 206 SoBo to bring some of their biggest hits to life.

One of these bands is Say Your Name, a rowdy bunch of pop-punks with a rapidly rising profile locally. The band features members of several defunct outfits that made similar waves around campus, most notably Tinder Buttons, Three Four, & Sons of Ares. With such an impressive pedigree, it’s no wonder that Say Your Name are one of the tightest rock bands at William & Mary. On record, their instrumental prowess shows a professionalism and composure that is not often present in bands made up of college students. They currently have two releases online, the standalone “Danny Boy Will Be Home for XXXmas” and their debut EP “When I Hit the Bottom”. I recommend WIHTB to anyone with an interest in the emo-revival, particularly bands like the Wonder Years & Joyce Manor.

If you want to see Say Your Name pay tribute to Weezer alongside other up & coming musicians at William & Mary, be sure to stop by the Meridian at 8PM on Thursday February 11. Then head on back to the Meridian at the same time on Saturday February 13 to shake out all your troubles at the Goth Dance Party. Both events are FREE of charge & the Meridian is, as always, located on 206 South Boundary Street.

Till I see you again,

Kenny

College struggles to fill Tribe Square
Returning to St Andrews
Come to DataCraft 2016

• Kenny Revoredo