George Mason Law School

Volleyball: Tribe and head coach Melissa Shelton ’91 part ways

|

February 24, 2016

William and Mary head coach Melissa Shelton ’91 and the volleyball team are parting ways, according to a release by Tribe Athletics earlier today. After holding the position for eight years and five Colonial Athletic Association tournament appearances, the search is on for a replacement.

The 2015 season marked the sixth consecutive year with a losing record, the last winning record occurring in 2009. Despite a tournament appearance in 2015, the College quickly exited the playoffs with a devastating sweep by eventual champion North Carolina-Wilmington. The 2015 season ended 10-20 overall and 4-12 in-conference, with myriad losses coming in close matchups as well as sweeps, including two separate four-game losing streaks during conference play.

Shelton ends her time as head coach with the Tribe with a 42.4 win percentage, a record of 97-132 overall. In the CAA, she held a 38.6 win percentage from a 44-70 record.

Athletics Director Terry Driscoll will now assemble a national search committee, though no deadline has been announced for filling the vacancy. With spring practice beginning shortly, assistant coaches Monica Marlowe (an eight-year veteran of the Tribe volleyball program) and John Lucas (a 2014 hire) will be operating practices until the position is filled.

Jack Whitman to Transfer to Kansas
Ugokwe signed to NFL’s Colts, Anderson invited to Atlanta minicamp
Baseball: Tribe comes back against Richmond, falls to Maryland

Nick Cipolla

Senior Staff Writer Nick Cipolla '17 is a neuroscience major from Virginia Beach, Va. He was previously Sports Editor.