Coming to a theater near you!

Volleyball: Tribe and head coach Melissa Shelton ’91 part ways

|

February 24, 2016

William and Mary head coach Melissa Shelton ’91 and the volleyball team are parting ways, according to a release by Tribe Athletics earlier today. After holding the position for eight years and five Colonial Athletic Association tournament appearances, the search is on for a replacement.

The 2015 season marked the sixth consecutive year with a losing record, the last winning record occurring in 2009. Despite a tournament appearance in 2015, the College quickly exited the playoffs with a devastating sweep by eventual champion North Carolina-Wilmington. The 2015 season ended 10-20 overall and 4-12 in-conference, with myriad losses coming in close matchups as well as sweeps, including two separate four-game losing streaks during conference play.

Shelton ends her time as head coach with the Tribe with a 42.4 win percentage, a record of 97-132 overall. In the CAA, she held a 38.6 win percentage from a 44-70 record.

Athletics Director Terry Driscoll will now assemble a national search committee, though no deadline has been announced for filling the vacancy. With spring practice beginning shortly, assistant coaches Monica Marlowe (an eight-year veteran of the Tribe volleyball program) and John Lucas (a 2014 hire) will be operating practices until the position is filled.

Men’s soccer: Tribe falters in 4-1 loss to No. 9 UNC on rainy Tuesday night
Commentary: Tribe strong on the lines, questions at QB in win over Norfolk State
Women’s soccer: Tribe falls in heartbreaker against High Point, rebounds to beat Marshall

Nick Cipolla

Sports Editor Nick Cipolla '17 is a neuroscience major from Virginia Beach, Va. He was previously Associate Sports Editor.