The impact of TribeTHON

As a junior, I can look back at the first half of my college experience and truly say my involvement with TribeTHON has been a high point in terms of both personal enjoyment and impact on the community. TribeTHON is William and Mary’s branch of The Children’s Miracle Network dance marathon program, put on by colleges throughout the United States. Months of planning and fundraising cumulate in a 10-hour dance marathon in Trinkle Hall in support of The Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters in Norfolk, Va. Going into our third year, TribeTHON aims to raise 40k for CHKD and continue to bring together members of the Tribe for a good cause.

The money TribeTHON raises supports a local hospital helping children throughout the area, and it is a hospital at which many William and Mary students have even been treated.

An important aspect of TribeTHON for me has been being able to personally see the impact the organization has on the community. The money TribeTHON raises supports a local hospital helping children throughout the area, and it is a hospital at which many William and Mary students have even been treated. Through both the dance marathon and other events we hold during the year, I’ve been able to meet many patients and families who our time and effort will directly affect. Many dance marathons use “FTK” (For the Kids) as a cheer and mantra, and being able to meet the kids who you personally help really drives this sentiment home for me.

Professionally, TribeTHON has also had a positive impact on my experience at the college. Hoping to someday work in the nonprofit sphere, being part of TribeTHON’s fundraising committee and now being one of the organization’s executive directors has been a great way for me to gain experience in fields relevant to my future goals. TribeTHON has six different committees to be a part of, including public relations, sponsorships, morale, entertainment planning, patient/family relations and fundraising, and all are integral to the running of the organization while additionally offering awesome experience for the future.

Through TribeTHON, I have made so many different friends I may not have otherwise met.

Another way TribeTHON has positively impacted my William and Mary experience is through meeting so many new friends. Members of almost every organization at the college come together to both be a part of TribeTHON and participate in the dance marathon. Through TribeTHON, I have made so many different friends I may not have otherwise met. I see TribeTHON as a way any member of the William and Mary community can come together to both plan and participate in a philanthropy supporting local children, and in this, I have been able to connect with so many awesome people

Lastly, we’ve aimed to create an event that is fun for everyone involved. My favorite parts of this past year’s marathon include doing the Charleston with my friends to random songs, hearing patients share their testimonies and watching Syndicate kill it (as usual). I look forward to leading another successful year of TribeTHON, and introducing the newest members of the Tribe to an organization that has so positively impacted my William and Mary experience.