Poor campus Wi-Fi is a detriment to school

The Mason School of Business will debut an online program this fall. FILE PHOTO/THE FLAT HAT

This semester, I started taking courses in the Mason School of Business. I spend a lot of time in the business school, including in between and after classes. I really enjoy classes in the clean and solemn building. Nonetheless, one thing I don’t like about the business school is its poor Wi-Fi. When I use my computer, sometimes the Wi-Fi gets disconnected, and every time it happens, I have to stop working on my projects and reconnect again. It happens at least once every time I am in the business school. It usually lasts for more than one hour, and it cannot get more annoying. Whenever it happens, I lose my homework on Blackboard.  This is really problematic.

Sometimes it happens in important meetings when I am working on projects with clients or Skyping with people from outside the school. The disconnection of Wi-Fi then disrupts the meeting, which is counterproductive. Especially in the business school, people are likely to be using Wi-Fi for a professional purpose, so I think the College of William and Mary needs to improve the quality of the Wi-Fi there.

Wi-Fi quality also affects the image that visitors to the business school have of the College.

Wi-Fi quality also affects the image that visitors to the business school have of the College. Even though there is a Wi-Fi service, it means nothing if it does not work well. Sometimes people may feel betrayed and fooled by the quality of the Wi-Fi. At least, that is what I feel when Wi-Fi does not work well.

Furthermore, Wi-Fi is quite important, especially for an exchange student like me. Many exchange students do not have phone service here in the United States. If the College really cares about the notion of One Tribe, One Family, they need to also care about those of us who only stay here temporarily and do not have cell phone service. If there is no Wi-Fi, I can’t get in touch with anyone. For exchange students, Wi-Fi means way more than people usually think.

If they improve it, people can concentrate more fully on their work, which ends up making the College a better place.

It is so annoying that Wi-Fi on campus, and especially in the business school, is not stable. In the business school especially, a lot of people use computers in a formal business setting, which requires good-quality Wi-Fi. There must be room for improving Wi-Fi at the College. If they improve it, people can concentrate more fully on their work, which ends up making the College a better place.

Email Sae Takagi at stakagi@email.wm.edu.