Track and field: Tribe men score victory, women finish sixth at annual Colonial Relays

Tribe men's and women's track and field competed in the Colonial Relays last weekend. COURTESY PHOTO / TRIBE ATHLETICS.

The William and Mary men captured the team title while the women placed sixth in the team standings at the 53rd Berkeley Realty Property Management Colonial Relays. The men won with a score of 74 points, topping Rhode Island (63) and Massachusetts-Lowell (58). Delaware took home the title on the women’s side after posting a score of 68 points; the Tribe finished with a score of 42.33 points. Despite high winds Friday and wet, cold weather Saturday, the Tribe recorded many strong performances both at Zable Stadium and in the Stimson Throwing Events Area.

On the women’s side, senior Molly Applegate won the 3000-meter steeplechase in 10:36.08. Fellow senior Leia Mistowski won the hammer throw in a stadium-and-meet-record toss of 60.61 meters (198-10). Senior Minna McFarland tied for second in the high jump, clearing 1.65 meters (5-05.00) and sophomore Samantha Moravsky took third in the javelin with a heave of 44.07 meters (144-07). The distance medley relay team comprised of sophomore Charlotte Kowalk, junior Lindsay Schott, freshman Taylor Jones and freshman Lauren Finkiotis claimed a runner-up finish with a time of 12:06.86.

On the men’s side, freshman Miles Owens won the 800-meter run in a sparkling 1:50.38. Senior Dawson Connell finished third in the 1500-meter run in 3:47.11 while junior teammate Ryan McGorty finished behind him in fifth in 3:48.56. Sophomore Connor Atkinson continued his strong outdoor campaign with a third-place finish in the 400-meter hurdles in 53.03. The 4×1500 team of McGorty, Owens, Connell and sophomore Cooper Leslie was victorious in a time of 16:06.99. Off the track, senior Preston Richardson led the charge in the shot put with a first-place heave of 49.74 meters (163-02). Freshman teammates Connor Scott (46.35 meters; 152-01) and KJ Cook (45.63 meters; 149-08) finished in fourth and fifth place in the shot put standings, respectively. Senior Tom Parker won the hammer throw with a toss of 62.74 meters (205-10) and junior Derek Trott placed third in the javelin with a heave of 58.35 meters (191-05).

Next, the College will compete at the Mason Spring Invitational this upcoming Saturday in Fairfax, Virginia.