Freshman arrested, charged with felony possession of child pornography

Turner August '21 was arrested April 6 and charged with six felony accounts of possession of child pornography. COURTESY PHOTO / WM.EDU

The College of William and Mary Police Department arrested Turner August ’21 the morning of April 6 and charged him with six felony accounts of possession of child pornography.

August, a 19-year-old from Richmond, was arrested at 7:30 a.m. in Griffin D, a residence hall in the Green and Gold Village. Following his arrest, he was transported to the Virginia Regional Peninsula Jail.

April 10, Turner was released on bail and his case was transferred to another court or jurisdiction according to online records for the Williamsburg-James City County General District Court. According to the same records, his charges stem from an offense that occurred February 5, 2018.

College spokesperson Suzanne Seurattan said that the College of William and Mary does not comment on student disciplinary matters due to the Federal Family Rights and Privacy Act. In an April 13 statement to the Williamsburg-Yorktown Daily, she said that this could initiate the student disciplinary process.

“What I can tell you generally is that any criminal matter involving a student could initiate our internal student disciplinary process,” Seurattan said in the statement. “… Sanctions, if found in violation of the student conduct policy, could range from warning to suspension or dismissal depending on the severity of the incident and past experience with the individual.”