Men’s golf: Tribe claims seventh in CAA championship

Sam Aronoff. COURTESY IMAGE / TRIBE ATHLETICS.

The Tribe competed in the Colonial Athletic Association Men’s Championship April 20-22. The tournament was held at Lonnie Poole Golf Course in Raleigh, North Carolina. Despite fairly consistent play from its individuals, the College finished in seventh place in the three-round competition between the nine teams in the CAA.

North Carolina-Wilmington used a strong finish in the third round to overtake Charleston and finish in first place. The Seahawks finished with a total of 881, including the low round of the tournament Sunday, a three-under 285. James Madison, with their fourth place finish, led after the second round, but had a tough third round leading to their fall in the standings. The Cougars came in second place and Drexel rounded out the top-three. The Tribe shot a 55-over 919 in order to finish in seventh place, ahead of Towson and Hofstra.

The College was led by a trio of golfers. While the Tribe did not have any individuals in the top-20 for the tournament, it had three golfers tied for 26th at 14-over for the tournament. Sophomore Walker Campbell, junior David Hicks and senior Sam Aronoff each shot a 230 for the tournament. The Tribe’s low-round came on Saturday when senior Bryce Johnson fired a 74. Johnson finished the tournament at 17-over and in a tie for 32th.