Women’s golf: Tribe triumphs in Hound Ear Intercollegiate

0
523
Courtesy image / TRIBE ATHLETICS

William and Mary competed in the Hound Ears Intercollegiate in Boone, North Carolina from Oct. 22-23. Coming in first place, the Tribe finished the tournament with a 630 (+54). The next highest scoring team was Radford, which closely trailed with a 638 (+62). The College’s team title for this tournament is its first since its victory at the Bucknell Invitational in 2013.

In the first round, the Tribe shot a 323 (+35), which brought it into a three-way tie for second place with Appalachian State and Radford versus Longwood’s 321 (+33). Junior Allison Olberding led the Tribe in scoring during the first round with a personal score of 76 (+4), giving her a four-way tie for first place. Closely following the top three scorers, senior Elizabeth Choi shot a 77 (+5) and tied for fifth place.

In the second round, the College shot a 307 (+19), erasing its two-stroke deficit. Olberding was able to successfully break her four-way tie to emerge victorious when she shot a 74 (+2), ultimately winning by two strokes with a 150 (+6). Choi was able to move from fifth place to second when she finished with a 152 (+8). Freshman Phoebe Yuan recorded her career best when she shot a 78 (+6), finishing in the top 20 with a 165 (+21). Senior Riley Corona and freshman Sarah Houle scored (166, +22) and (167, +23), respectively.

“It’s great to finally get a tournament win,” head coach Ed Teer said. “Our players improved their attitude today about the course and their intention to play-to-win. Several players improved their scoring from round one, including Allison, Liz, Riley and our freshman, Phoebe, who improved by nine strokes. I know Liz wanted to win in her final collegiate event, and while she played some good golf, she came up just short to her teammate Allison. This is Allison’s first collegiate win, and I’m hopeful it will help her build some confidence and confirm that the work she is doing will pay off.”

Though the fall season has come to an end, the Tribe will return in the spring to participate in the Kiawah Island Classic on Feb. 24-26 at the Turtle and Oak gold courses in South Carolina.

Previous articleDonald Trump’s comments on men’s safety don’t ring true in current climate
Next articleVolleyball: College concedes to Elon after comeback victory in first set
Gavin Aquin Hernández
Gavin Aquin Hernández ’22 is a Sports Editor for The Flat Hat newspaper and a proud member of the Editorial Board. He has contributed to the paper since 2018. Gavin originally hails from Las Vegas, Nevada and Los Angeles, California. He is a Business Analytics and Hispanic Studies double-major, with a particular interest in Spanish and Chicano cultural issues and the history of the Jewish Diaspora. Gavin hopes to eventually become a lawyer when he graduates. When he isn't watching Tribe Athletics, Gavin follows the Vegas Golden Knights, the LA Dodgers, Tottenham Hotspur and C.D. Guadalajara. Visit www.gavinaquin.com to learn more about him. ~~~~~ En castellano: Gavin Aquin Hernández '22 es un editor de deportes para el periódico « The Flat Hat » y es miembro de la Junta Editorial. Él ha sido miembro del periódico desde 2018. Originalmente, él viene de Las Vegas, Nevada y de Los Ángeles, California. Él está estudiando la analítica de negocios y los estudios hispánicos. En particular, le interesan los temas culturales españoles y chicanos, y también le interesa la historia de la diáspora judía. Gavin desea trabajar como abogado después de graduarse. Además de seguir Tribe Athletics, Gavin sigue a los Golden Knights, los Doyers, Tottenham Hotspur y las Chivas. Visite a es.gavinaquin.com para aprender más sobre él.