Men’s basketball: Tribe falls behind to Old Dominion, 71-53

Courtesy image / TRIBE ATHLETICS

After spending most of the game keeping up with Old Dominion Dec. 5, William and Mary failed to successfully close the score gap and ultimately fell to the Monarchs, 71-53.

In the first period, the Monarchs were able to build momentum against the Tribe. Monarch guard Ahmad Carver and Xavier Green contributed eight points collectively to their team, giving them an early lead. An additional jumper at the hands of BJ Stith granted the Monarchs an extra two points that would bring them to 10 points.

A 14-2 run added to the Monarch’s lead, as sophomore guard Marquis Godwin was able to successfully bring eight points to his team, including a pair of three-pointers. Stith was able add two more points in a lay-up, bringing the tally to 24.

Trailing behind the Monarchs, the College was only able to score nine points by the 5:05 mark with redshirt junior guard Matt Milon tallying five of his own. A layup and a free-throw from freshman guard LJ Owens helped the Tribe inch closer to the Monarchs’ lead.

Both teams were able to raise scores until they were to get to 31-15. With a successful three-point throw, Godwin would extend the Monarch’s largest lead against the Tribe during the first half, having put them ahead by 16 points. The first half ended with the Monarchs leading by 10, 33-23.

Coming into the second half, an 8-0 run by the College helped to lessen this gap in scores through the efforts of junior forward Nathan Knight, who scored five points, followed by redshirt junior Paul Rowley’s three-pointer and a leaner by Milon. This helped bring the deficit to three, 37-34.

After a failed Monarchs free-throw attempt, the Tribe failed to capitalize on the defensive rebound. Ultimately, the Tribe failed to capitalize, allowing to Monarchs to rebuild their majority with a 17-2 run, resulting in the 71-52 loss.

Knight led the College in scoring, netting the team 14 points and six rebounds, while Milon followed with 13 points.

The Tribe looks to play Hampton Dec. 8 and William Peace Dec. 16.