Men’s tennis: Narrow losses doom Tribe against Brown

0
351
JAMIE HOLT / THE FLAT HAT

William and Mary hosted Brown at the McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center Feb. 10. Despite competitive singles matches, the Bears ultimately beat the Tribe 4-0 to secure victory.

Opening the match, the Bears took the doubles point when Ben Collier and Peter Litsky won 6-3 over Tribe freshmen Jack Kelly and Oren Vasser at the No. 3 spot, while senior Tristan Bautil and sophomore Finbar Talcott, the number 45 nationally ranked pair, suffered a 6-4 upset against the Bears’ Roger Choi and Charles Tan in the No. 1 matchup.

Entering singles, the Bears narrowly won five of the six first sets, with Jacob Walker increasing the Bears’ lead to 2-0 with his 7-5, 6-4 win against sophomore Sebastian Quiros in the No. 3 slot. Junior Brenden Volk and Talcott were able to make comebacks in their singles matches in the No. 1 and No. 2 spots, respectively. Though Volk dropped his first set 7-5, he matched the score against Bears opponent Litsky. Talcott took his second set from Bears foe Ching Lam, 6-4, and came up with a 1-0 lead in his third. Unfortunately, both matches were abandoned upon the team result being announced.

At the same time, Vasser had been in his match against the Bears’ Collier at No. 5 when the match was decided. Vasser took his opening set with 7-5 before Collier responded with a 6-4 win. Vasser had been ahead 2-0 in his third set when it was stopped.

The Bears made the victory official with Robert Siniakowicz’s 6-4, 7-5 win over freshman Daniel Pellerito at the No. 6 spot.

The Tribe will travel to compete against Big Ten foe Penn State Feb. 15 before heading to Liberty Feb 16.

Previous articleWomen’s gymnastics: Individual efforts shine amid struggle
Next articleTrack: Gersch, Goodrich set records at Navy Select
Gavin Aquin
Gavin Aquin '22 is a Sports Editor for The Flat Hat, having previously contributed to the Sports section since 2018 as an Associate Editor. He is from Las Vegas, Nevada/Los Angeles, California, and sees his West Coast upbringing as instrumental to his worldview. He is a History and European Studies double-major, with a particular interest in Spanish and French cultural issues, the legacy of Greece and Rome on the Mediterranean world, and the history of the Jewish Diaspora — especially that of the Sephardim. In his free time, he cheers for the Vegas Golden Knights, the LA Dodgers, F.C. Barcelona, Tottenham Hotspur, and the Spanish National Football Team.