Women’s gymnastics: Individual efforts shine amid struggle

JAMIE HOLT / THE FLAT HAT

Despite earning a season-high score of 48.250 on vault, William and Mary came in last at a meet hosted by George Washington Feb. 8.

Although the Tribe came up short as a team, Friday’s meet saw many stand-out individual performances. Most notably, juniors Caroline Caponi and Erika Marr contributed season-high scores as individual competitors.

Caponi posted an all-around score of 38.600, allowing her to take second place, while Marr earned a season-best score of 9.750 on vault, tying for third in that event.

The College entered the meet ranking third in the Eastern College Athletic Conference, averaging 192.563 points. However, the Tribe struggled with what has traditionally been its two best events: floor and bars. Despite occupying second place in the ECAC on the bars and third on the floor, the College couldn’t pull out a win in either event.

Junior Evan Pakshong, who last season scored a career-best 9.875 on bars in a meet against West Chester, earning herself the third-place tie for the highest bars score in the College’s history, scored 9.750 on the bars at George Washington.  Pakshong was still the highest scorer for the Tribe in that event, as Caponi and junior Taylor White posted scores of 9.675 and 9.650 respectively.

On the floor, freshman Samantha Sakti and senior Aaliyah Kerr were the College’s two highest scorers, earning 9.775 and 9.750 points respectively. Last season, Kerr’s high score on the floor came in a meet at Yale, where she earned 9.875 points.

Overall, it was a tough outing for the Tribe, due to the struggles of veterans on events in which they typically shine. Friday, Feb. 15, the team will have a chance to redeem itself in a meet at West Chester.