Tribe ties Jacksonville, loses to South Carolina Beaufort in season-opener

0
516
COURTESY IMAGE / TRIBE ATHLETICS

William and Mary travelled on Feb. 16-17 to Savannah, Georgia to participate at the Invitational at Savannah Harbor where it finished with an 881 (+17), tying Jacksonville State and ultimately losing to South Carolina Beaufort with an 872 (+8).  

Opening its spring season, the College fired a 36-hole score of 582 (+6) in open play, slightly behind the day one frontrunner of Austin Peay with a 578 (+2).  

Leading the Tribe in the first two rounds, junior Walker Campbell was able to tie for fourth place on the first day, firing a team-low of 70 (-2) in the first round before finishing with a 73 (+1) in the second round. Following not too closely behind, senior David Hicks had a three-stroke deficit to Campbell with a 146 (+2). Shining on the first day, sophomore Trevor Hecht had a low score of 71 (-1) in the round two lineup but not before he was able to record an eagle on the par-4-hole No. 1.  

Entering round three, senior David Hicks took the spotlight as he fired the College’s best round that day, going under par for the second time in the three rounds with a 71 (-1). This round was his sixth of the season to be at or below par. He was able to finish the event with an even 215 and place sixth in the individual scoreboard. Second on the Tribe’s scoreboard was Campbell who recorded a 76 (+4) on the final day, having finished with a 219 (+3).  

The College will reconvene when the team travels to Aiken, Georgia March 11-12 in order to compete at the Cleveland Golf Palmetto Invitational.  

Previous articleCollege sweeps Marist in season-opener
Next articleKnight scores 35, leads Tribe to victory against Elon
Gavin Aquin Hernández
Gavin Aquin Hernández ’22 is a Sports Editor for The Flat Hat newspaper and a proud member of the Editorial Board. He has contributed to the paper since 2018. Gavin originally hails from Las Vegas, Nevada and Los Angeles, California. He is a History and Hispanic Studies double-major, with a particular interest in Spanish and Chicano cultural issues and the history of the Jewish Diaspora. Gavin hopes to eventually become a lawyer when he graduates. When he isn't watching Tribe Athletics, Gavin follows the Vegas Golden Knights, the LA Dodgers, Tottenham Hotspur and C.D. Guadalajara. Visit www.gavinaquin.com to learn more about him. ~~~~~ En castellano: Gavin Aquin Hernández '22 es un editor de deportes para el periódico « The Flat Hat » y es miembro de la Junta Editorial. Él ha sido miembro del periódico desde 2018. Originalmente, él viene de Las Vegas, Nevada y de Los Ángeles, California. Él está estudiando la historia y los estudios hispánicos. En particular, le interesan los temas culturales españoles y chicanos, y también le interesa la historia de la diáspora judía. Gavin desea trabajar como abogado después de graduarse. Además de seguir Tribe Athletics, Gavin sigue a los Golden Knights, los Doyers, Tottenham Hotspur y las Chivas. Visite a es.gavinaquin.com para aprender más sobre él.