Spring 2019 De-Stress Roundup: On-campus events to practice self-care during finals week

COURTESY PHOTO / WM.EDU

The last day of classes is right around the corner, so to quote Doctor Strange in “Avengers: Infinity War,” we’re in the endgame now.

The end of the semester often feels like a race to see which reaches the end of the line first: your list of things to do, or your sanity. While it can feel like the answer is obvious and you’re already at your wit’s end, it’s important to take a deep breath and remind yourself that you can do it. Here are some events and activities on campus in the coming weeks that may help in the quest to relax during finals.

The Last Day Of Classes

Aside from the student body’s traditional Blowout plans, there are a variety of events both on and off campus.

Starting at noon on April 26, Wesley Campus Ministries will be handing out free tacos across from the Wren Building fence, with chicken, beef, and vegetarian options.

At 3 p.m., AMP will hold their annual Last Day of Classes carnival, this year called AMPstock. It will take place inside of Sadler, due to thunderstorms. The carnival will include a professional caricature artist, free shirts, cotton candy, pizza, snowcones, and more. Also starting at 3 p.m. and going until 5 p.m., the William and Mary Bookstore will host a De-Stress Fest. It will include a raffle for the chance to win a bookstore gift card and clothing, a 10-minute massage (which must be signed up for in advance), therapy animals, and free Baskin Robbins ice cream. Finally, at the same time, the Swing Dance Club will be swing dancing on the terrace from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m., and invites anyone to join them.

From 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., the Gentlemen of the College will hold their final concert of the semester in the Commonwealth Auditorium in Sadler. Then, from 9 p.m. to 10:30, the Appalachian Music Ensemble will be holding their last concert of the semester, also in the Commonwealth Auditorium in Sadler.

Also starting at 9 p.m. and going until 1 AM, interVarsity Christian Fellowship will host their semesterly Pancake House, with free pancakes and toppings in Center Court at the Sadler Center. There will also be a Bacon Hour from midnight to 1 AM.

During Finals Week(s)

On April 27, Dad Jeans will be hosting their senior show at the Wesley Campus Ministry house from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m..

There will be a number of activities in Swem during the first reading weekend and continuing into the first and second finals weeks. On April 27, from noon to 2 p.m., First Year Experience will be offering free snacks. On April 28th, Fuzzy EAR will be providing therapy rabbits from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m..

On Monday April 29, there will be free Yoga classes in the Ford classroom at 10 AM, 10:20 AM, 10:40 AM, 3 p.m., 3:20 p.m., and 3:40 p.m., hosted by Campus Recreation.

On Tuesday April 30, there will be a button making table from 9 AM to 11 AM. On Wednesday, May 1st, the Wellness Center will be providing chair massages from 3 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. and from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m..

On Thursday, May 2, there will be art therapy from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m., as well as a snack break courtesy of Pepsi and CRH Vending. Finally, on Friday, May 3rd, Mortar Board will be providing free snacks from noon to 2 p.m..

In addition to these activities, there will be coloring sheets and LEGO blocks at a table near the entrance of Swem all week long.

Where are the dogs? (And bunnies!)

Wesley Campus Ministries will be hosting its annual Paws for Stress event on Wednesday, May 1, starting at 7 p.m. and going until 9 p.m.. There will also be free cookies and lemonade

As stated above, there will be therapy bunnies in Swem Library on Sunday, April 28 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m..

Therapy dogs will be in Swem on Monday, April 29; Tuesday, April 30 and Wednesday, May 1 from 11 AM to 1 p.m. and from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.. There will also be dogs in Swem on Thursday May 2nd and Friday, May 3rd, but only from 11 AM to 1 p.m. on those days.