Men’s Golf: Tribe places seventh with 886 (+34) in Georgetown Intercollegiate

COURTESY IMAGE / TRIBE ATHLETICS

Monday and Tuesday at the Georgetown Intercollegiate Tournament, William and Mary shot a score of 886 (+34) to place seventh overall in the twelve-team field.  

Coming into the tournament, the College racked up a trio of top-ten finishes in the early stages of the season led by star freshman Jimmy Taylor. The newcomer from Alexandria, Virginia carried a 72.78 average score per round this season. The Tribe has averaged a 291.67 total score this season.   

Monday, the College finished in the top five of the tournament’s first two rounds with a total score of 580. That score placed them in a tie for fifth with Butler. Washington led the field with a total score of 563 (-5). Junior Trevor Hecht shot a career best of 68 (-3) to open up the day as the only member of the Tribe under par. After both rounds, junior Otto Voettiner sat in the top ten of the individual rankings at one stroke over par.   

In the final round of the tournament on Tuesday, the Tribe shot a 306 and fell to seventh place behind Princeton in 5th and Saint Joseph’s in 6th. Washington finished in first place overall with a score of 835 (-17) to win the tournament by an astounding 27 strokes. Voettiner finished 22nd overall as the top performer for the Tribe.  

The College finished in the top ten for the fourthconsecutive fall tournament and will cap off the fall season in two weeks. It will travel down south to Florida for the Innisbrook Intercollegiate against top-level competition.