Around the world in four days: A glimpse at the different movies, workshops being offered at the 2020 Global Film Festival

COURTESY PHOTO / WM GLOBAL FILM FESTIVAL

Parasite

Thursday, Jan. 30, 7:30 p.m., Kimball Theatre

The Oscar-nominated South Korean thriller comes to Williamsburg. Created by acclaimed director Bong Joon-ho, “Parasite” tells the tale of two families, one rich and one poor, who enter into a symbiotic relationship. The dark comedy has already garnered critical acclaim, making it the first South Korean film to be nominated for Oscar categories such as Best Picture and Best Director.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire

Sunday, Feb. 2, 2:00 p.m., Kimball Theatre

The French film “Portrait of a Lady on Fire” chronicles the lives of Heloise, a young woman about to be married, and Marianne, a painter commissioned to paint her wedding portrait. The story evolves into a tale of forbidden love between the two women. The film has already won several awards from international film festivals, and was nominated for Best Foreign Language Film at the Golden Globes. There will be a pre-show performance by accordionist David Gussman ’86 starting at 1:40 p.m.

Scales

Friday, Jan. 31, 8:30 p.m., Kimball Theatre

“Scales” is a story of bravery against the customs of a dystopian, patriarchal society. Set in a small fishing village in which girls are sacrificed to sea monsters, a young girl named Hayat challenges the tradition and refuses to be sacrificed, shaking the foundations of the village culture. Scales comes to Williamsburg to deliver its tale of courage along with writer and director Shahad Ameen, who will be present at the screening. There will be a pre-show performance by the Middle Eastern Music Ensemble starting 8:10 p.m.

Slay the Dragon

Saturday, Feb. 1, 3:00 p.m., Kimball Theatre

“Slay the Dragon” is an in-depth documentary that follows the tale of two organizers in Michigan and Wisconsin and their grassroots fight against partisan redistricting, giving viewers a glimpse behind the curtain at the process of drawing congressional districts to favor one party over another. This viewing also features special guests Executive Director Brian Cannon ’04 J.D. ’11 and Deputy Director Liz White ’04. Cannon and White will also host a workshop session Saturday, Feb. 1, 11:30 am in Earl Gregg Swem Library.

A CAREER IN DIGITAL MEDIA PRODUCTION

Saturday, Feb. 1, 2:30 p.m., Reeder Media Center

Students interested in a career in digital media can hear first-hand experience about the industry in this workshop hosted by Aaron Barksdale ’13, an associate producer at VICE Media. Barksdale will discuss tools for pre-production, production and post-production of documentaries and short-form media content. The workshop will include interactive elements, giving participants a glimpse into the life as a producer.

PREPARING FOR THE AUDITION: PUTTING YOUR BEST FOOT FORWARD

Friday, Jan. 31, 11:30 a.m., Reeder Media Center

Auditions can be critical for success in the performing arts world. In this workshop, Dr. Sheri Bias ’97, owner and operator of Liquid Talent Group, will share her tips and tricks for success in auditions. From studio auditions to headshots, Bias will work with participants to make sure they put their best foot forward at any type of audition.