Zimmeck golden in win

__Junior forward’s overtime goal gives the College a 1-1 finish in the Tribe Invitational after Friday’s loss to OU __

p. The 27th-ranked Tribe women’s soccer team hosted the Tribe Invitational this weekend at Albert-Daly Field. Virginia Commonwealth University won the tournament after holding both of its opponents scoreless. The College began the tournament with a loss to Oklahoma 2-1; however, they ended the weekend with a win against Maine 1-0.

p. This weekend saw the return of junior striker and Preseason All-CAA Team selection Danielle Collins. Collins was not predicted to play until next weekend due to a rolled ankle, but managed to play in both games this weekend.

p. The Tribe came out of the first half Friday night looking strong, scoring on Oklahoma halfway through the first half. Collins managed to score on Oklahoma in the 16th minute of the first half from a free kick fielded by junior Abby Lauer. However, the College was unable to effectively penetrate Oklahoma’s defense for the rest of the match.

p. Oklahoma rallied in the second half scoring two goals on the Tribe. In the 57th minute, Tenesha Duncan converted on Allyson Kucera’s corner kick with a header that slipped past the College’s junior goalkeeper Meghan Walker. The game-winning goal came from Sooners forward Whitney Palmer when she navigated the ball past Walker and scored seconds later in the 84th minute.

p. “We should have figured out a way to beat these defenders” said head coach John Daly. “Our front players just need to find their way. They’ve got to position themselves better. They’ve got to anticipate better and serve better quality balls.”

p. The College had multiple attempts afterwards to tie the game, but Oklahoma denied each opportunity. Senior Brittany Bode fired a shot, which soared over the goal, as time expired.

p. The Tribe fared better against Maine Sunday winning 1-0 in double overtime. The game remained scoreless with neither side managing to gain the ability to score on the other. The College put pressure on Maine’s defense the whole game, but was unable to score. Maine’s goalie made eight saves during the game, blocking most of the Tribe’s shots. The Tribe finally scored on Maine’s defense in the middle of the second overtime when Claire Zimmeck broke free and fired a shot across the face of the goal that ricocheted off the left post and into the back of the net..

p. “I don’t think we were as sharp in the attacking third,” Coach Daly said. “This is a game that we should have won by two or three points…I don’t think there was any question that we deserved to win it. It was close up until the end.”

p. The College led Maine in shots 21-3, shots on goal 9-1 and corner kicks 10-1.

p. The College returns to the field this weekend to face Navy and North Carolina in Richmond.