Swimming and Diving: Tribe women win fifth-straight meet

__Men fall to UNCW, Matthews and Radloff earn multiple individual victories__

p. The Tribe women defeated the University of North Carolina Wilmington Seahawks 157-143 Saturday afternoon, pushing its winning streak to five meets, while the men’s team fell to the Seahawks 183-115.

p. The women’s team (5-3, 3-1 CAA) won nine out of 16 events, while the men (4-4, 2-2 CAA) had seven victories over the Seahawks. Sophomore Katie Radloff led the women’s team with four victories — two in relay races and two in individual freestyle races.

p. Radloff swam anchor in the meet’s first event — the 400-medley relay — along with senior captain Meredith David, sophomore Erin Welshofer and freshman Carolyn Royce. The relay team swam to a victory in 3 minutes and 55.23 seconds — the seventh-best finish time in the College’s history. The College’s 400-freestyle team of sophomore Lindsay Guers, junior Marina Falcone and senior Christina Monsees touched the wall in 3:31.58, the College’s fifth-best performance. Individually, Radloff won the 50-free, timing 23.88 seconds, as well as the 100-free, finishing in 51.38 seconds. These four victories bring the sophomore’s career total to 46 victories.

p. David claimed another victory for the Tribe in the 100-back, finishing in 59.03 seconds, while Guers dominated the 200-free with a time of 1:53.73. Royce placed first in the 100-breast, finishing at 1:08.41, and teammate Welshofer pulled past UNCW in the 200-fly to swim the race in 2:08.04. Freshman Sarah Cannon wrapped up the College’s wins by finishing first in the meet’s required-list 1-meter diving event.

p. For the men, junior Shawn Matthews claimed three victories, first in the 400-medley relay with juniors Jason Brisson, Nader Amer and graduate student Nick Duda. The next were two individual wins in the 100-back with 52.64 seconds and the 200-back with a time of 1:55.11.

p. Several other swimmers claimed victories in individual events. Duda placed first in the 100-free with a time of 47.84 seconds, bringing his college-career wins to 25. In the 200-fly Amer out-swam the competition with a time of 1:58.05, while sophomore Kevin Gallagher finished first in 200-free in 1:44.55. Freshman Geoff Ramsdell touched the wall at 53.09 seconds in the 100-fly, securing another win for the Tribe.

p. The women return to the pool Saturday at 1 p.m. for the team’s last non-conference meet at the University of Richmond. The men, however, have a two-week break before the team takes on Old Dominion University Feb. 1.