Through the CAA fire

__After road win at JMU, the Tribe hosts star guard T.J. Carter and a tough UNCW squad Saturday night__

p. Nathan Mann has not made himself any friends in Harrisonburg.
The senior guard once again led the College in scoring against James Madison University, knocking down five three-pointers and making crucial free throws down the stretch to help the Tribe (11-9, 7-3 CAA) hold back the Dukes (10-10, 3-7), winning by a score of 70-67.

p. Trailing 26-24 at the break, the College caught fire in the second half, shooting 64.7 percent and netting 46 points. A Mann three-pointer capped a 10-1 Tribe run midway through the second half that gave the College some breathing room and its largest lead of the game at 49-39 with 7:57 remaining. The Dukes answered, cutting the deficit to three at 50-47 after a Heiden Ratner free throw.

p. The Tribe later built its lead to seven on two occasions, but JMU’s Juwann James and Abdulai Jalloh kept them in the game. With the Dukes converting on the offensive end and stopping the clock with fouls, the College attempted 16 free throws in the last 3:55 of the game, netting 12 to keep JMU from taking the lead.

p. Mann and sophomore guard David Schneider took the majority of the free throws, but with 11.5 seconds left, sophomore forward Danny Sumner found himself at the line for the first time on the night. A 67 percent free throw shooter coming into the game, Sumner missed his first attempt, but gathered himself and connected on the second to give the Tribe a 70-67 lead. After JMU’s Head Coach Dean Keener called a 30-second timeout with seven seconds left, Jalloh and Stephen Kendall each missed three-pointers, giving the College its fourth CAA road victory and eighth-straight win over the Dukes.

p. Mann paced the Tribe with 19 points, while Schneider and Sumner contributed 13 and 12 points, respectively. Senior forward Laimus Kisielius’s three-pointer near the end of the first half gave him 1,000 points for his career, and made him the 29th player in Tribe history to reach the impressive milestone.