CAA Football Roundup

It was another tame day in the CAA Saturday, as all five favorites took care of business. No. 7 Villanova played in the closest league contest,
beating Northeastern 20-14 on the road. The other four conference games featured margins of victory between 20 and 49 points.

No. 16 Tribe 34 – Towson 14
The Tribe found itself trailing at halftime for the fourth time in the past five games. And for the fourth time in the last give games, the College rallied in the second half. Click here for a full recap.

No. 9 New Hampshire 45 – Hofstra 25
New Hampshire forced seven Hofstra turnovers, returned two interceptions for touchdowns and won by 20 despite only 17 minutes and 53 seconds of possession and two turnovers of its own. The Wildcats needed only 23 offensive plays to record 31 of its 45 points.

No. 15 Massachusetts 49 – Rhode Island 0
UMass quarterback Liam Coen had another efficient outing, completing 15 of his 17 passes for 241 yards and three touchdowns. Meanwhile, the Minutemen defense held Rhode Island to 19 yards rushing and a 33 percent third-down conversion rate. Rhode Island’s 10 drives ended in four punts, two missed field goals, two interceptions, one fumble and one turnover on downs.

No. 7 Villanova 20 – Northeastern 14
Trailing 20-14 in the fourth quarter, Northeastern drove to the Villanova 13-yard line before Wildcat linebacker Marquis Kirkland picked off an Anthony Orio pass at the two-yard line. Villanova’s 20 unanswered points in the first half provided just enough cushion for the Wildcats.

No. 1 JMU 41 – Delaware 7
Another week. Another big-time performance from JMU quarterback Rodney Landers, who rushed for 185 yards and two touchdowns on 23 carries. The Dukes’ defense looked good too, holding Delaware to 169 yards of total offense and forcing three turnovers. JMU cornerback Scotty McGee returned a punt 64 yards for a touchdown – his third punt return for a TD in nine games this season.

Maine 55 – Iona 7
Five different Maine players accounted for rushing TDs in the Black Bears’ rout of Iona. Maine racked up 516 yards of total offense, including 375 on the ground, while holding Iona to just eight rushing yards. This game was a good practice run for Maine heading into its showdown at UMass this weekend.

CAA Standings

North Division
New Hampshire (4-1, 7-1)
Maine (3-2, 6-3)
Massachusetts (3-2, 6-3)
Hofstra (1-4, 3-6)
Northeastern (1-4, 2-7)
Rhode Island (0-6, 2-8)

South Division
James Madison (6-0, 8-1)
Villanova (4-1, 6-2)
William & Mary (4-1, 6-2)
Richmond (3-2, 6-3)
Delaware (1-4, 3-6)
Towson (1-4, 3-6)