The Pressbox Blog: Women’s basketball conference tournament scenarios

William and Mary will wrap up its regular season Wednesday when it takes on Delaware at Kaplan Arena. That game and others will factor into the College’s seeding for the CAA Tournament, which will begin March 11. Here’s a breakdown of the various scenarios the Tribe could face.

Conference standings (as of Feb. 28, 2012):

Team   CAA record     Overall record
Delaware 17-0 26-1
JMU 13-4 22-6
Hofstra 11-6 19-9
Drexel 11-6 15-12
UNC-Wilmington 10-7 17-11
VCU 9-8 16-12
George Mason 8-9 14-14
Towson 7-10 16-12
Old Dominion 6-11 9-20
Northeastern 5-12 7-21
William and Mary     3-14 10-18
Georgia State 2-15 8-20

If the season ended today, the Tribe would be the No. 11 seed. The College controls its own seeding, so if it were to beat Delaware Wednesday, the team would secure the No. 11 spot. However, if the Tribe loses to the Blue Hens and Georgia State tops UNC-Wilmington in its final game, the College would fall to the No. 12 seed because of its loss to the Panthers Sunday.

With Tribe win over Delaware or a Georgia State loss to UNC-Wilmington, the College locks up the No. 11 seed.

With Tribe loss to Delaware, the College slides to the No. 12 seed if Georgia State also beats UNC-Wilmington.

If No. 11 seed, the Tribe could face three different opponents; UNC-Wilmington, VCU or George Mason (whichever one claims the No. 6 seed). VCU has the tiebreaker over UNC-Wilmington and George Mason has the tiebreaker over VCU, so things are complicated. If VCU (playing Drexel) and UNC-Wilmington (playing Georgia State) both win, the Tribe would face the Rams in the first round. If UNC-Wilmington loses and VCU wins, then the Tribe takes on the Seahawks in the first round. Finally, if George Mason (playing JMU) wins and VCU loses, then the College will face the Patriots in the opening round.

If No. 12 seed, the Tribe would face either UNC-Wilmington or VCU depending on how the Rams fare against Drexel Wednesday (for the College to be the No. 12 seed, UNC-Wilmington would have to lose to Georgia State to begin with). If VCU wins Wednesday and the College is the No. 12 seed, then the Tribe will take on the Rams.

The Tribe against potential opponents this season: