CakeAlicious to open location in New Town

In 2004, Alice Cooke began operating a specialty cake and cupcake design business out of her home in York County. In June 2011, CakeAlicious’ first retail store opened in Yorktown. This October, that same business will open its second location in Williamsburg, replacing the Harbour Coffee in New Town.

CakeAlicious specializes in custom-made wedding cakes, as well as cakes and cupcakes for special occasions. However, Cooke said she plans to branch out and transform the business into a café, offering other menu options in addition to cakes, including breakfast and lunch items.

“We’re going to start out with cakes, coffee and tea, and shortly thereafter we’ll transfer and we’ll offer menu items like breakfast and lunch,” Cooke said.

She cited the new location’s size as the main factor in allowing the business to expand.

“We’ve always loved New Town, and our current shop is only 750 square feet,” Cooke said. “This one has around 2,000 so we’ll actually have lots of room to spread out and work. We’ve only been able to offer cakes and cupcakes at the other shop, so we haven’t had room to branch out and do some of the other things we’ve wanted to do, like offering more food items.”

In addition to serving food, Cooke said CakeAlicious will offer Wi-Fi, allowing patrons to use their computers while they eat. She also hopes to host small functions at the New Town location.

Cooke said she is looking forward to the business’ move to Williamsburg. She added that the work is exciting and fulfilling in and of itself.

“The best part is the challenge,” she said. “I love being artistic and coming up with unique items.”