Men’s Soccer: Upset in Delaware

After winning seven of its last eight matches, No. 21 William and Mary skidded to a halt in Delaware Wednesday night, unable to overcome the Blue Hen’s three goals. Senior midfielder Chris Perez scored the College’s lone goal in the 3-1 loss.

Delaware (12-4-0, 3-3-0 CAA) controlled most of the match from the onset. The Blue Hens jumped to an early 1-0 lead eleven minutes in, when the Blue Hen’s midfielder Jamie Martinez found forward Roberto Gimenez, who set up midfielder Vincent Mediate. Mediate ripped a goal from about 10 yards out, good for the early advantage. Delaware wouldn’t relinquish the lead the rest of the game.

Before the Tribe (8-4-1, 3-2-0 CAA) could respond, the Blue Hens doubled their lead. Martinez was active once again, stealing a pass in the 33rd minute before streaking down the right side of the field. Just outside of the 18-yard box, Martinez banged a shot into the left corner of the net, making the score 2-0.

With things looking bad and getting worse, the Tribe finally showed some resiliency just before halftime.

In the 34th minute, shortly after the Blue Hens’ second goal, Perez scored off a free kick to half the advantage, taking a 2-1 deficit into the locker room.

Perez’s third goal of the season ties him for third among team leaders.

The opening of the second half evaporated any momentum the College had. The Blue Hens scored in the 53rd minute, as midfielder Guillermo Delgado played a cross in the box that found Gimenez for a one-touch redirect to defensemen Mark Garrity. Garrity did the rest, powering the ball into the right corner of the net, making the score 3-1.

With the Blue Hens leading by two goals, the College began to increase its offensive pressure, but to no avail.

In the 57th minute, Perez attempted to cash-in on another free kick, but sent his shot into Delaware’s goalkeeper Borja Barbero. Midfielder Chris Albiston came close in the 75th minute, firing a header just over the crossbar.

On the night, the Blue Hens held a 12-8 lead in shots, while the Tribe dominated in the corners, 12-6.

Redshirt freshman goalkeeper Mac Phillips recorded four saves on the match.

The College heads to the University of North Carolina at Wilmington Nov. 2. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.