Class of 2022 elects student body representatives

Class of 2022 president and senators after an election Oct. 4. COURTESY PHOTO / JACK BOWDEN

Thursday, Oct. 4, the College of William and Mary’s class of 2022 reached for their phones and laptops to vote for their Student Assembly representatives. As the evening came to an end, Suhas Suddala ’22 was named class of 2022 president.

“I was beyond excited when I found out,” Suddala said in an email. “But honestly my first thought was ‘Did I really win?’ This was something that I wanted so badly that it was crazy when they called me. All the ideas and plans I had for helping our community were suddenly much more of a possibility and it was an amazing feeling. While I was walking around campus that night surrounded by the rest of Student Assembly, I was the happiest I’ve been since coming to college.”

Suddala received approximately 22.14 percent of the vote, after 190 of 858 total participating students voted for him. Henry Philpott ’22 received 158 votes, Litzy Morales ’22 received 148 votes, William Weston ’22 received 107 votes, Tom Plant ’22 received 89 votes, Philip Andoh ’22 received 68 votes and Sana Slotbloom ’22 received 67 votes.

“What I am most looking forward to is getting into the rhythm of how this position works,” Suddala said in an email. “Right now I have many ideas but I am not completely sure about the SA process just yet. Once I learn that in the next few weeks, I am ready to make a difference! And also just being surrounded by such amazing people really makes me excited for things to come. Everyone I’ve talked to in SA has a motivation to do something at William and Mary and that makes me look forward to all the great things we are going to accomplish together.”

The class of 2022 also elected four class senators that will sit along with Suddala in weekly senate meetings. Together, the five newly elected representatives will vote on bills and help plan SA events for their class.

Mark Smith ’22, Meghana Boojala ’22, Jahnavi Prabhala ’22 and Vicky Morales ’22 will serve as senators for the class of 2022. Smith received 390 votes, Boojala received 355 votes, Prabhala received 323 votes and Morales received 282 votes. Those who were not elected include Jared Rose ’22, who received 249 votes, Emilio Cuebas ’22, who received 232 votes, Ben Marcus ’22, who received 224 votes, Jackson Thomas ’22, who received 224 votes, Stephanie Son ’22, who received 197 votes, Suzanne Cole ’22, who received 147 votes and Ansh Patel ’22, who received 140 votes.

“I was very anxious yet excited most of the day prior to knowing the results,” Morales said in an email. “I was initially confused when I saw a group of SA member[s] crowded into the Jefferson basement lounge screaming and dancing. It wasn’t until [Sen. Kyle Vasquez ’21] came up to me and asked if I was Vicky, that I noticed that I had won. I felt so relieved after stressing out all day and then the adrenaline kicked in and I was ecstatic. Not only had my hard work paid off, but the efforts and votes from my friends and classmates had paid off too.”

Moving forward, Prabhala said she is looking forward to many things that come with being an elected representative.

“I’m most looking forward to interacting with different individuals, learning about the problems within the student body, and advocating for changes that would help shape our special community,” Prabhala said in an email. “Especially in a time when our political arena is so volatile and polarized, it is time to think differently and make changes that will leave lasting impacts on not only this [College] community but our broader community as a whole.”

Boojala said she is looking forward to introducing new initiatives and helping other senators with ongoing initiatives.

“There are several initiatives that I want to introduce,” Boojala said in an email. “I think it’s important to address the impact of stress culture on the student body. I want to set realistic academic standards, promote support systems, and initiate discourse about leading a healthy academic and social life, particularly with underclassmen who are still acclimating to college life.”

The class of 2022 representatives will sit in their first official meeting Tuesday, Oct. 9.