SA passes Traffic Safety Week resolution, discusses Gun Violence Prevention Week funding

EMMA FORD AND KIM LORES / THE FLAT HAT

At the Feb. 26 meeting of the College of William and Mary Student Assembly, senators discussed and approved a resolution declaring a Traffic Safety Week, which is scheduled to take place next month. SA also heard a presentation from three members of the Students Demand Action Executive Board, who provided information about hosting a Gun Violence Prevention Week in late March.

The week is currently scheduled for March 18-23 and will feature events will include a letter writing campaign to local lawmakers, an open mic night for survivors and allies as well as a documentary screening. The week will culminate in gun violence prevention rally on Duke of Gloucester St. March. 23.

Will Sanbrook ’21, the events lead at Students Demand Action, stressed that the week will focus on gun violence’s impacts throughout different aspects of society, and how the consequences of gun violence are especially impactful for students at the College.

“We want to show the school how intertwined gun violence is with all of our lives…how it’s involved with domestic violence, how it’s involved with mental health…it’s not just school shootings,” said Sanbrook.

The event’s source of funding is still unclear. Senators debated whether funding should be appropriated through a bill or through an activity and events funding request.

Also at the meeting, senators unanimously passed the Traffic Safety Week Bill, which allocates $810 to fund reflective wristbands, bike reflectors and a petition banner. After being signed by students, the banner will be displayed on campus as a reminder of traffic safety’s importance.

Sodexo and the Willlam and Mary Police Department are committed to making the week a success in conjunction with SA. WMPD is spending $10,000 for the event in addition to SA’s funding.

Also at this week’s meeting:

• The senate also unanimously passed the Drag Act, which will bring the Pretty Boi Drag group from Washington D.C. to perform on campus four times during Pride week.
  • SA unanimously passed the World Interfaith Harmony Act 2019, which allocates $10,000 to bring interfaith speaker Hossein Nasr to campus to speak in Commonwealth Auditorium March 26.