Tribe outmatched on the road, falls to No. 7 Stony Brook

COURTESY IMAGE // TRIBE ATHLETICS Freshman infielder Maresa Moyer darts up the field during the Tribe's win against George Washington on April 12.

Saturday April 15, William and Mary (7-7, 2-3 CAA) lost against Stony Brook (10-3, 5-0 CAA) 20-6 at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium in Stony Brook, New York. 

Stony Brook got on the board first with an early goal from senior attacker Morgan Mitchell. William and Mary responded quickly with a goal of its own from sophomore attacker Sam Van Gieson, with the assist coming from senior midfielder Sarah Cipolla. With nine minutes and 19 seconds remaining in the first quarter, freshman attacker Sydney Witwer scored her 14th goal of the season to give the Tribe a 2-1 lead. That would be the Tribe’s first and only lead of the afternoon, as Stony Brook scored three more times before the first quarter came to an end. 

Stony Brook dominated the second period, scoring nine straight goals before William and Mary’s sophomore midfielder Miranda Bate snuck one past the goalie to bring the score to 13-3. With 21 seconds remaining in the half, Stony Brook’s senior midfielder Charlotte Verhulst scored her third goal of the game, expanding the lead to 11 as the teams went into halftime. 

Junior midfielder Ellie Masera scored first in the second half, extending Stony Brook’s lead to 12 before Witwer scored again for the Tribe, her second of the day. However, the Tribe was unable to gain any momentum as the dominant offense from Stony Brook continued, with junior midfielder Jaden Hampel and Verhulst scoring two more goals. Cipolla scored for William and Mary with just eight seconds remaining in the third period, closing the quarter with a score of 17-5.

Both defenses were solid in the final quarter, but Masera was able to score her fourth goal of the game for Stony Brook. Freshman midfielder Maresa Moyer then scored an unassisted goal for the Tribe with 10:28 left in the game. Graduate student attacker Kelsi LoNigro scored two back-to-back goals to seal Stony Brook’s emphatic victory, 20-6.

Stony Brook outshot William and Mary 38-10 and allowed just 10 turnovers, whereas the Tribe gave up 20. Stony Brook recovered 16 ground balls, with William and Mary recovering only nine. Stony Brook was more dominant in draw controls, controlling 18 to the Tribe’s 10. 

William and Mary hopes to improve their 2-3 conference record as they take on Monmouth on April 22nd at 11 a.m. at Kessler Stadium in West Long Branch, New Jersey.