The Griffin Wears Prada: Seasoned Williamsburg shopper’s guide to back-to-school fashion

GRAPHIC BY CATHERINE STORKE / THE FLAT HAT

Walking through the campus of the College of William and Mary on any given day, you will find students dressed in all sorts of trendy outfits. One of the characteristic parts about the College is the range of styles that the student body displays. Whether it’s bohemian, streetwear, preppy or edgy, you’re bound to encounter a diverse mix of stylistic expression, adding to the unique energy of the school itself. 

It’s hard to trace where exactly everyone finds their unique pieces, but perhaps some of them come directly from Williamsburg. It’s no secret that Williamsburg is not the fashion capital of the world, but you might be surprised by what you can find right here in town. And since it is still back to school season, this article is your guide to some new school year outfits, or just some retail therapy, right in your backyard. 

Williamsburg has a variety of shopping options no matter your personal style, budget or location on campus. First, let’s take only a few steps off campus into Colonial Williamsburg. While at first sight it may seem like a collection of colonial knick-knacks, Duke Of Gloucester Street and some of its side streets actually have some hidden fashion gems. 

When you first walk onto the street, you are immediately met with FatFace. This clothing store carries clothes for men and women, with an overall relaxed and outdoorsy vibe. The muted color scheme and quality material of FatFace’s clothing makes it mature and timeless. So, if you are looking for a cozy sweater for the fall or a pair of new jeans, this might be the place for you. 

Just down the street is Walkabout Outfitter, which recently opened its sixth Virginia location in Williamsburg. This store, often known for its outdoor and camping equipment, also happens to carry some pretty popular brands; not only for hiking, but also for exercise and day-to-day wear. With brands like Vuori, Patagonia and The North Face, you could find yourself a perfect fleece or a pair of casual shorts. 

And we can’t forget the iconic colonial Lululemon. The last trace of the year 2024 before you enter Colonial Williamsburg, this Lululemon is always stocked with their latest activewear items for men and women: workout pants, shorts, tops and outerwear. The sale rack in the back is also a great hack to save a little money here. Next time you stroll down Duke of Gloucester street, consider popping in to elevate your workout wardrobe before entering the 1700s. 

If you venture a little off to Prince George Street, you will find Three Sisters Boutique. This boutique carries tons of trending styles and brands for women’s fashion. With a whole section dedicated to dresses, it is the place to go if you are looking to dress up a little for an upcoming gala, party or other formal event. The boutique is also full of casual items that shift with the seasons. Drop by and you may discover your next favorite garment.

The stores in and around Colonial Williamsburg are not all that this town has to offer, as far as fashion goes. Within a five-to ten-minute radius from campus are Marshalls, Target and Old Navy, along with other larger clothing stores. Specifically, Marshalls on Richmond Road is packed with quality overstock items for affordable prices. If you’ve been to a handful of Marshalls locations, you may know that they are not all created equal. However, the Williamsburg location stands out on top. With such a large selection, you are bound to find something you like, and you may even find a hidden marked down gem from brands like Free People, Ralph Lauren and Lucky Brand. 

But maybe you’re looking for something a little more unique: something one of a kind that won’t break the bank. Williamsburg thrift stores are full of unexpected finds, proving that you do not have to be in a city for a successful thrift haul. Goodwill on Richmond Road has exactly what you need to make that perfect thrift discovery. The store itself is huge, and it has racks on racks of clothing for men and women, a majority of which are under $10. 

Goodwill is certainly not the only thrift option. On Merrimac Trail, ten minutes away from campus, Disabled Armed Veterans thrift store is another great spot to search for some unique pieces for cheap. Whether you are a seasoned thrifter or just looking for a bargain, Williamsburg has plenty to offer you. 

Next time you’re looking for a few new pieces, consider ditching the online stores and step out into Williamsburg to fulfill your needs, with the help of this guide. With its mix of trendy boutiques, popular retail chains and hidden thrift treasures, this town offers a surprisingly wonderful shopping experience that’s right at your doorstep.