Tribe falls to Villanova in double-overtime loss

RYAN GOODMAN // THE FLAT HAT William and Mary looks to turn its season around heading into conference play this coming week.

Sunday, Sept. 22, William and Mary field hockey (0-8, 0-0 CAA) lost to Villanova (5-3, 1-0 Big East) 2-1 in double-overtime at Busch Field in Williamsburg, Va.

The Tribe, who entered Sunday’s matchup without a win in 2024, hoped to get its first win just before conference play starts this Friday. Villanova came to Busch Field on a two game winning streak, including a 6-1 rout of conference foes Georgetown (2-5, 0-1 Big East) on Friday. William and Mary held the advantage in the two teams’ matchup history, having beaten Villanova six times against two losses.

The Tribe started the game barely hanging on, allowing Villanova to get 10 shots off in the first quarter against the Tribe’s zero. William and Mary struggled to get the ball out of its defensive half, as Villanova’s relentless pressure stifled any counterattack attempts. Turnovers in the back were a problem, as passes weren’t finding their targets. Graduate student defender Maddie McGaughey anchored the Tribe defense, stifling promising Wildcat attacks and notching a defensive save, while graduate student and goalkeeper Maddie George tallied seven saves in the first quarter alone, including an acrobatic save of a shot from Villanova sophomore back Gemma Lysaght off of a penalty corner with 57 seconds remaining in the period.

The second quarter saw improvements in the Tribe’s offense, as it began the period stringing passes together and progressing up the field. The defense remained solid, and the team pressed up the field applying pressure to the Wildcat defense. This pressure culminated in a Tribe goal with 11:37 remaining in the second from junior midfielder Erin Griffin off an assist from graduate student forward Mollie Schuma. Schuma tipped a ball passed from the right sideline, and Griffin slotted into the left side of the goal for her first goal of the season. 

However, the lead did not last long. After holding through a spell of dominant Villanova possession and multiple shots, the Tribe conceded a goal with 3:50 left in the first half. Villanova fifth year forward Sabine de Rujiter, the Wildcats’ leading scorer on the season, scored her seventh goal this year, pouncing on a rebound off of a George save. 

The second half was far quieter offensively, as the two teams combined for only three shots and no goals. The Tribe committed to pressing high up the field, but was unable to find the net and only managed one shot in the half. With their pressure, the Tribe exhibited greater poise, and controlled possession for much of the half. After a one-on-one fast break was stopped by George with 2:40 remaining in regulation, the Tribe was able to progress up the field. With 40 seconds left in the game, Tribe senior forward Sara Bartzen passed a dangerous ball into the circle, but none of her teammates could capitalize.

After a five minute intermission following the end of regulation, the first of two 10 minute, sudden victory, overtime periods began. 

The overtime saw plenty of offense from both sides. After controlling Villanova’s strong attacks for most of the period, sophomore forward Josie Mae Gruendel won a penalty corner for the tribe 7:26 into the first overtime. Two rapid-fire Tribe shots couldn’t find the net, as Villanova blocked and saved attempts from Gruendel as well as senior midfielder/forward Kellen Richbourg.

The second overtime period was dominated by Villanova’s strong offense. The Tribe gave up its initial possession, allowing the Wildcats to press high up the field. Around 1:30 into the period, Villanova found themselves on a two-on-one fast break with only George to beat. Wildcats fifth year forward Meghan Mitchell passed to de Rujiter, who posted up on George and slid the ball in the goal to win the game and net her second goal of the day. 

After the game, Tribe head coach Tess Ellis was disappointed in the result, but optimistic about the future and what the game meant to the team, emphasizing that the Tribe “certainly showed some character to come back in the second half to sort of control the game.” Ellis stated that she was “pleased” that the game went into overtime and that the team was able to score first and hold the 1-1 tie for much of the game. Ellis also emphasized the importance of getting the experience of a competitive seven-on-seven overtime period before conference play begins for the Tribe, noting that “conference seems to be won in that seven-on-seven overtime” more times than not.

“The first four games [of conference] are really important,” Ellis said.

The Tribe will be looking to bounce back after a close loss against a strong opponent on Sunday. Tribe field hockey opens up Coastal Athletic Association play Friday, Oct. 27 at Busch Field in Williamsburg, Va. against Towson (3-4, 0-1 CAA).