William and Mary cruises through CAA competition, defeats UNCW

RYAN GOODMAN // THE FLAT HAT Junior forward Ivey Crain’s goal in the 74th minute cemented the Green and Gold’s 2-0 lead.

Sunday, Sept. 22, William and Mary women’s soccer (7-3, 2-0 CAA) defeated North Carolina Wilmington (2-6-2, 0-2 CAA) 2-0 at Martin Family Stadium at Albert-Daly Field in Williamsburg, Va. 

In the last 31 matchups between the two teams, the Tribe has emerged victorious 24 times. The Tribe lost three of these last five games.

Notable players for the Tribe from its previous contest against Hampton (3-6-1, 0-2 BSC) were senior midfielder Mia Suchora and junior forward Ivey Crain. Suchora had recorded a goal and an assist, while Crain scored one goal. Both players were constant threats throughout the previous matchup, with a combined eight shots on goal. 

UNCW lost to Campbell (4-3-3, 2-0 CAA) 2-0 in its last match. Standout players from that matchup included redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Morgan Hobbs, who tallied two saves to keep the Seahawks in the contest. Despite the loss, the Seahawks maintained a 17-5 shot advantage compared to their opponent, but the Camels successfully found the back of the net. 

On Sunday, the Tribe started out hot. Junior midfielder/defender Nora Green-Orset scored the first goal of the contest in the 13th minute of play. The goal was her first of the season and gave the Tribe momentum for the rest of the first half. Sophomore goalkeeper Jazzy Lorenz had a strong first half against the Seahawks, saving both shots on goal and holding the Seahawks scoreless the entire period. 

Going into the second half, the Tribe led 1-0 but was outshot 6-3 by the aggressive Seahawk offense. Lorenz continued to stay strong with three saves for the Tribe, holding the Seahawks scoreless for the entire second half. Crain cemented the lead for the Tribe in the 74th minute of play, scoring a goal off a pass from senior defender Marisa McClure. 

The Tribe offense outshot the Seahawks 9-3 in the second half, with Crain recording four shots on goal overall.

The Tribe looks to continue its 2-0 conference streak Thursday, Sept. 26 in its next matchup versus Monmouth at Hesse Field in West Long Branch, N.J.