Kaine introduces bill to support sexual assault survivors on college campuses

JAMIE HOLT / THE FLAT HAT

Wednesday, Sept. 18, Sen. Tim Kaine LL.D. ’06 of Virginia introduced legislation he believes will provide support for survivors of sexual assault on college campuses.

The Survivor Outreach and Support on Campus Act mandates a trained and federally-funded sexual violence advocate position be put into place at every college and university.

Kaine is a member of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, which reintroduced the bill, dedicating new amendments to securing a predetermined campus procedure and institutionally-independent position to work on sexual assault prevention and response.

The proposed amendments seek to formalize sexual assault responses across campuses. The Association of Title IX Administrators estimated that upwards of 90% of sexual misconduct cases are handled “informally” and without established protections and guidance for student survivors.

The new legislation will sponsor independent advocates on college campuses who will provide information about reporting sexual assault to the police, facilitate 24 hour emergency medical care and examinations and, with the survivor’s  consent, provide information and guidance toward counseling and other support services.

Per the proposed bill, SOS Campus Act, the advocate must act as a guide for the resources and institution’s existing protocol, maintain survivors’ privacy and protect survivors from penalization. The advocates are meant to create informational events that work toward sexual misconduct prevention and act as a resource if it does occur.

Sept. 19, Kaine commented on his proposed bill in a Zoom press conference with Virginia reporters.

“I think legislators, lawyers, officials with the administration, the Department of Education can work on the process side for once a sexual assault has occurred, or been claimed to have happened, but I want to work on the prevention side. And it would seem like we would all want to do that, that shouldn’t be controversial; we should all want those who have been victimized by sexual assault to have support resources available right there on campus. So, my bill doesn’t really deal with the procedural side of Title IX, it’s more about the prevention and support services,” Kaine said.

This bill addresses a growing problem across university and college campuses; according to a 2019 survey conducted by the Association of American Universities, which surveyed 181,752 students across 27 campuses, 13% of college students overall and nearly 26% of undergraduate women reported experiencing sexual misconduct or unwanted sexual contact.

Secretary of University Policy and Student Rights within the Student Assembly at the College, Hannah Cawley ’25, commented on the pending legislation.

“Senator Kaine’s amendment to the SOS Campus Act is a crucial step in addressing the persistent issue of sexual assault on the William & Mary campus,” Cawley said. “Given the high rates of underreporting, this legislation is urgently needed. The bill not only empowers survivors here on campus but also works to foster a safer and more supportive environment for all students across the country. Having a dedicated, independent advocate would provide students with a trustworthy resource to guide them through the challenging and complex reporting process. I strongly support Senator Kaine’s SOS Campus Act and believe it will help create a much-needed change in how our university handles sexual assault cases.”

In an email to The Flat Hat, Senior Director of Gender-Based Violence Resources and Advocacy Services Liz Cascone described the pre-existing support services at the College.

“This legislation could require colleges and universities to add the services outlined in the bill for their students if they don’t currently provide them. William & Mary already has established services for survivors of sexual violence and harassment through The Haven and has sexual violence prevention and education programs through the Office of Health Promotion. In addition, The Haven has a partnership with Avalon Center and Riverside Doctors Hospital to provide some of the additional services outlined in the bill,” Cascone wrote.

This bill will put into federal law the sexual misconduct support that William and Mary has already implemented through its resources like the Haven and other health offices.

In a press release from Kaine’s website, he outlines his outlook on his bill, and what change it can make to college students nationwide.

“Students deserve to live and learn in healthy, safe environments. We must do everything we can to prevent sexual assault on college campuses and provide support to survivors,” Kaine said. “This bill is critical to ensuring that students who bravely speak out are connected with the medical treatment, counseling, and relevant legal information that they need.”