Williamsburg Police report death of Rose Way ’25

Thursday, Oct. 17, at around 3:10 p.m. the Williamsburg Police Department published a release reporting the death of Rose Way ’25, a student at the College. Way was found at 1:40 p.m. on the same day in a forested area near Rolfe Road, which surrounds the Ludwell Apartments. Police do not suspect foul play.

Earlier Thursday afternoon, Chief of the William and Mary Police Department Don Butler and Senior Vice President for Student Affairs and Public Safety Ginger Ambler ’88, Ph.D. ’06 sent an email to the College community reporting an ongoing search for Way. She was last seen on Ukrop Way at around 4:45 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 16.

“At this time of grief and sudden loss, please know there are resources available for anyone who needs them,” Ambler wrote in a follow-up email to students, faculty and staff. “This is a heartbreaking loss for our community. Moments like this remind us of how connected we are with one another at William & Mary.”

Way was a data science major who was actively involved in the College community. They participated in Skateboarding Club, WCWM 90.9 FM Radio, the Tabletop Roleplaying Games Club, Science Fiction and Fantasy Club, Costuming Club and Anime Club. Students from Skateboarding Club gathered on Sadler Terrace Thursday afternoon to remember and mourn Way.

Ambler added that Way’s family has been notified of their death.

Ambler thanked the Williamsburg Police, WMPD, Williamsburg Fire Department, York County Department of Fire and Life Safety, Gloucester County Sheriff’s Office and the Virginia Department of Emergency Management for their aid in the search.

CORRECTION (10/17/24): Article was updated to correct Way’s name and pronouns. A former version of this article, as well as reports from the College and WPD, did not use the student’s preferred name or pronouns.

Previous articleAdam’s Apple #7: Get your money up, not your funny up
Avatar photo
Emma (she/her) is a history and environmental humanities major from Wallingford, Pennsylvania. She’s a senior who works as a Dining Sustainability Intern and Communications Assistant for the Roy R. Charles Center. You can find her walking around College Woods or sipping on coffee from Aromas. She’s hoping to inspire the next generation of Flat Hat journalists and share her love of storytelling.