Meet Jalen Jones: The best pass defender in college football

COURTESY IMAGE // JALEN JONES Jones, a third-year starter for the Green and Gold, leads all of college football in pass defenses in 2024.

This season, William and Mary football fans have had a lot to smile about.

The Tribe — who are 5-2 overall and carry a respectable 2-1 record in Coastal Athletic Association play — has seen impressive performances from many of its players on game days thus far in 2024. 

However, it’s hard to argue that any Green and Gold player has been more dominant on the field than junior cornerback Jalen Jones.

As of Oct. 19, Jones currently ranks first nationally in passes defended in the Football Championship Subdivision. To record a pass defense, a defensive player must cause a pass to be incomplete by making contact with the ball, something Jones has done an incredible 14 times this year.

To put his dominance into perspective, Jones has three more pass defenses than the next highest defensive player in the FCS. On top of that, when looking at all Division I defensive players this season, Jones still has the most in the country: He leads as the top pass defender in the Football Bowl Subdivision by two while playing in one less game.

“A key thing that’s helped the most with my production so far this season has been my focus on the technical and minute details through my coaching and repetitions throughout practice,” Jones said. “Breaking offenses down into simple scenarios and becoming familiar with opposing formations has made it a lot easier to anticipate what’s coming and helps me play a lot faster.”

On top of pass defenses, Jones has also played a pivotal role in other aspects of William and Mary’s defense. The Chesapeake native has secured two interceptions this season, recorded 26 total tackles and forced one fumble during the Green and Gold’s Oct. 19 35-28 victory against Campbell (2-5, 0-3 CAA). During the Tribe’s Sept. 7 loss to Coastal Carolina (4-2, 1-2 Sun Belt), Jones also recorded a single-game best eight tackles while breaking up two Chanticleer passes.

Despite his successes already, Jones shows no sign of slowing down.

“The mentality I’ve been carrying all season long has been one of continuous improvement,” he said. “Every day, I ask myself, ‘How can I get better today?’ and being able to operate in this sense has not only led to my personal growth but has been infectious to my teammates as well.” 

It is to no one’s surprise that Jones has turned into the player Tribe fans have seen this season. In his redshirt freshman year, Jones was a finalist for the Jerry Rice Award — which honors the national freshman of the year in the FCS — and placed eighth in voting. He also was named CAA Defensive Rookie of the Year and earned a spot on the All-CAA Second team. 

Throughout his time at William and Mary, Jones largely credits his teammates for keeping him grounded during the highs and lows of his career. 

“I think the support and encouragement from my teammates around me is a quick way to bounce back from any setbacks,” Jones said. “Knowing that they will always have faith in me when some adversity is faced is always a great boost in confidence.”

On top of that, Jones explained that the highlights of his 2024 season have been reciprocating that support back to some of his new teammates.

“My favorite moments so far have to be any time the younger guys are able to get into the games and showcase their ability,” he said. “They cheer the starters on all the time, so when roles get to change, they get so much encouragement out of me when it’s their time.”

With five games left in the 2024 season, Jones and the Green and Gold are determined to be the best team they can be week-in and week-out.

“My personal goal is to continue to produce and contribute to this team by being a significant leader and influence,” Jones explained. “The team goal we have is the same every week, and that is to go 1-0 every Saturday. That’s been the basis since day one, and we will continue to stand by that.”

Oct. 26, The Tribe will travel to Stony Brook (5-2, 2-1 CAA) to take on the Seawolves at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium in Stony Brook, N.Y.

If you’re a Tribe fan who can’t make the trip and are feeling down, just remember, your day could always be worse.

You could be the receiver lined up against Jalen Jones on Saturdays.