About The Flat Hat

The Flat Hat has been the College of William and Mary’s student newspaper since 1911. It covers the College and the surrounding area of Williamsburg, Va., printing on Tuesdays of the academic year. The Flat Hat office is located in the Campus Center basement at the intersection of South Boundary Street and Jamestown Road.

The Flat Hat derives its name and motto (“Stabilitas et Fides”) from the Flat Hat Club, the nation’s first secret society. The Flat Hat Club was founded at the College in 1750 and included among its members St. George Tucker, Thomas Jefferson and George Wythe. It is believed that the Flat Hat Club was the precursor of the Phi Beta Kappa Society, established at the College in 1776.

The Flat Hat printed its first issue on October 3, 1911.

The Flat Hat is produced entirely by a volunteer all-undergraduate staff. It has no faculty adviser. The student journalists of The Flat Hat control all online and print content. The production of the paper’s news and editorial content is in no way supervised by any College administrator. The Flat Hat also controls its own advertising and business departments.

Staff
Editor-in-Chief: Isabel Larroca

Managing Editor: Emily Chaumont

Executive Editor: Sarah Ruiz 

Digital Media Editors: Iris Hyon, Amelia Lucas

News Editors: Nia Kitchin, Sarah Smith

Chief Staff Writer: Leonor Grave

Opinions Editors: Jenny Cosgrove, Julia Stumbaugh

Variety Editors: Katie Koontz, Akemi Tamanaha

Sports Editors: Alyssa Grzesiak, Chris Travis

Online Editors: Siobhan Doherty, Sean Willner

Copy Chiefs: Lauren Bavis, Kate Sandberg, Rachel Wilmans

Graphics Editor: Jae Cho

Photos Editors: Devon Bortz, Gabbie Pachon

Business Manager: Moises Romero

Associate News Editors: Henry Blackburn, Madeline Monroe, Caroline Nutter, Noah Petersen, Carley Schanck, Yutong Zhan

Associate Sports Editor: Brendan Doyle

Associate Variety Editors: Heather Baier, Gabriela Montesdeoca, Mia Naples, Hayley Snowden, Rick Stevenson, Katherine Weber, Talia Wiener

Associate Opinions Editor: Alfred Ouyang, Nick Phair

Associate Podcast Editor: Peter Eckel

Associate Business Manager: Oliver Shen

Associate Financial Manager: Katie Wang

Copy Editors: Emily Martell, Julia Dalzell, Michaela Flemming, Katherine Peck, Lillian Waddill, Katie Williams