Dec. 26, 2014

About The Flat Hat

The Flat Hat has been the College of William and Mary’s student newspaper since 1911. It covers the College and the surrounding area of Williamsburg, Va., printing on Tuesdays and Fridays of the academic year. The Flat Hat office is located in the Campus Center basement at the intersection of South Boundary Street and Jamestown Road.

The Flat Hat derives its name and motto (“Stabilitas et Fides”) from the Flat Hat Club, the nation’s first secret society. The Flat Hat Club was founded at the College in 1750 and included among its members St. George Tucker, Thomas Jefferson and George Wythe. It is believed that the Flat Hat Club was the precursor of the Phi Beta Kappa Society, established at the College in 1776.

The Flat Hat printed its first issue on October 3, 1911. The Flat Hat printed weekly until 2007 when it began printing twice weekly.

The Flat Hat is produced entirely by a volunteer all-undergraduate staff. It has no faculty adviser. The student journalists of The Flat Hat control all online and print content. The production of the paper’s news and editorial content is in no way supervised by any College administrator. The Flat Hat also controls its own advertising and business departments.

Staff
Editor-in-Chief: Meredith Ramey
Managing Editor: Abby Boyle
Executive Editor: Ellen Wexler
News Editor: Aine Cain, Rohan Desai
Opinions Editor: Daria Grastara
Variety Editors: Tucker Higgins, Devon Ivie
Sports Editors: Mick SloanChris Weber
Photos Editors: Carol Peng, Ashley Richardson
Online Editors: Zachary Frank, Kayla Sharpe
Copy Chiefs: Emily Lowman, Rachel Neely
Chief Staff Writer: Sarah Caspari
Editorial Writer: Matt Camarda
Associate News Editors: Madeline BielskiEleanor Lamb
Associate Opinions Editor: Kaitlan Shaub
Associate Variety Editors: Jillian Bates, Bailey Kirkpatrick, Emily Nye, Emily Stone
Associate Online Editor: Max Cea
Business Manager: Katie Conely
Copy Editors: Quint Guvernator, Bobby LaRose, Carter Lyon, Benoit Mathieu, Allison Ramage, Meilan Solly, Richie Thaxton, Kat Turk, Phoebe Warren, Amanda Williams, Bezi Yohannes
Cartoonists: Dani Aron-Schiavone, Brian Kao, Sarah Thoresen, Lindsay Wade
Webmaster: Ben Marks
Social Media Editor: Molly Menickelly