Sep. 2, 2014

About The Flat Hat

The Flat Hat has been the College of William and Mary’s student newspaper since 1911. It covers the College and the surrounding area of Williamsburg, Va., printing on Tuesdays and Fridays of the academic year. The Flat Hat office is located in the Campus Center basement at the intersection of South Boundary Street and Jamestown Road.

The Flat Hat derives its name and motto (“Stabilitas et Fides”) from the Flat Hat Club, the nation’s first secret society. The Flat Hat Club was founded at the College in 1750 and included among its members St. George Tucker, Thomas Jefferson and George Wythe. It is believed that the Flat Hat Club was the precursor of the Phi Beta Kappa Society, established at the College in 1776.

The Flat Hat printed its first issue on October 3, 1911. The Flat Hat printed weekly until 2007 when it began printing twice weekly.

The Flat Hat is produced entirely by a volunteer all-undergraduate staff. It has no faculty adviser. The student journalists of The Flat Hat control all online and print content. The production of the paper’s news and editorial content is in no way supervised by any College administrator. The Flat Hat also controls its own advertising and business departments.

Staff
Editor-in-Chief: Meredith Ramey
Managing Editor: Abby Boyle
Executive Editor: Ellen Wexler
News Editor:  Aine Cain, Rohan Desai
Opinions Editor: Daria Grastara
Variety Editors: Sang Hyun Park
Sports Editors: Jack PowersChris Weber
Chief Photographer: Carol Peng, Ashley Richardson
Online Editors: Annie Curran, Zachary Frank
Copy Chiefs: Emily Lowman, Rachel Neely
Chief Staff Writer: Sarah Caspari
Editorial Writer: Matt Camarda
Associate News Editors: Madeline Bielski, Claire Gillespie, Rebecca Heine, Tucker Higgins, Eleanor Lamb,
Associate Opinions Editor: Matt Camarda, Kaitlan Shaub,
Associate Variety Editors: Haley Arata, Jillian Bates, Bailey Kirkpatrick, Emily Nye, Emily Stone,
Associate Online Editor: Max Cea, Ashley Hamilton,
Business Manager: Katie Conely
Copy Editors: Samantha DeFlitch, Lauren Dybel, Quint Guvernator, Bobby LaRose, Allison Ramage, Richie Thaxton
Cartoonists: Dani Aron-Schiavone, Brian Kao, Sarah Thoresen, Lindsay Wade
Technology Editor: Ben Marks
Social Media Editor: Molly Menickelly