Field Hockey: Tribe drops back-to-back games

The Tribe suffered two losses during their two-game CAA road trip this weekend. After losing 2-0 to Drexel University Friday, the Tribe fell to Hofstra University 2-0 Sunday afternoon, dropping to 6-7 overall and 1-4 in the CAA. In both games, the team relinquished a goal less than seven minutes into play and despite good efforts in the second halves, the College could not recover from the opposition’s early offensive runs.

p. Seniors Kim Hedley and Gwen Hunter performed well this weekend as the forward Hedley took five shots between both games to make the Tribe transition game possible, and goalkeeper Hunter made 11 saves against the Drexel Dragons and five against the Hofstra Pride.

p. “Gwen is an exceptional athlete with years of game experience and a tireless work ethic,” Head Coach Peel Hawthorne said, according to TribeAthletics.com.

p. The College’s Sunday 2-0 loss to Hofstra extended the Tribe’s losing streak to four games. Seven minutes into play, a Pride forward stole the ball from a Tribe defender, making a breakaway and rifling a shot past Hunter for the game’s first goal. Hofstra scored again only moments later off a rebound.

p. In the second half, the College increased the intensity of play, creating several opportunities to score and claimed a commanding 10-5 lead in shots on goal after being outshot 7-1 in the first half. The Tribe could not finish, however, and went scoreless for its second straight game.

p. The Tribe had a chance when a deflected shot from Tribe freshman forward Liz Loudy won a penalty corner. Unfortunately, senior Laura Kastelic’s strong shot did not convert the corner to a goal. Despite the shots, including one from Hedley off a solid pass in front of the goal, and a penalty corner, the Tribe could not put one away. Hofstra ended the game on the attack, but Hunter kept the game at 2-0 with two saves.

p. Friday’s match with the Drexel Dragons saw the College struggle offensively as Drexel led the College in shots on goal 15-10 and in penalty corners 6-4. Less than five minutes into play, the Dragons scored their first goal. Hunter kept the College in the game, making four saves in the beginning of the game, and the Tribe had its first scoring opportunity with three minutes left in the half, but the Drexel goalkeeper denied the shot.

p. After halftime, the Dragons came out with a vengeance, taking three shots on goal within the first six minutes, but Hunter stopped each attempt. The College earned its first penalty shot 43 minutes into play, but could not convert on the scoring chance. The teams traded empty possessions until Drexel found the cage for the second time with less than four minutes left in the game to secure its 2-0 victory.

p. The College steps outside the conference when the no. 1 ranked University of North Carolina — Chapel Hill visits Busch Field Friday at 4 p.m.