Tribe clinches CAA championship victory for third consecutive year

COURTESY PHOTO // PARKER DEBNAM Friday, May 3 to Sunday, May 5, William and Mary women’s tennis will compete in the NCAA Regional Tournament.

Friday, April 26 to Sunday, April 28, William and Mary women’s tennis (18-5, 6-0 CAA) won the Coastal Athletic Association Women’s Tennis Tournament for the third year in a row. Entering the tournament as the No. 2 seed, the Tribe defeated No. 7 Campbell (12-9), No. 6 North Carolina-Wilmington (12-8, 3-4 CAA) and No. 1 Delaware (20-7, 5-0 CAA).

Despite losing the doubles point, the Green and Gold dominated the singles games. 

At No. 1, junior Hedda Gurholt defeated Campbell junior Mialy Ranaivo. Gurholt won her first set 6-4, to which Ranaivo responded with a 6-0 second-set win. Gurholt ultimately won the third set 6-2, clinching a point for the Tribe.

In the No. 2 singles match, graduate student Yu Chen defeated Campbell freshman Lily Chitambar 6-4, 6-2. 

Though matches No. 3 and No. 4 were unfinished, the Tribe emerged victorious in matches No. 5 and No. 6, sweeping the Camels in singles. 

Junior Ine Stange defeated Campbell senior Mariana Ossa at No. 5, and freshman Francesca Davis defeated Campbell sophomore Lena Karlovcan at No. 6. 

Saturday, the Tribe swept UNCW in the semi finals 4-0. 

William and Mary clinched the doubles point at No. 1 and No. 3. In No. 1 doubles, Yu and junior Emma Fernald defeated their opponents 6-2. At No. 3 Davis and graduate student Mila Mejic won their matchup 6-2. 

In the singles matches, Gurholt defeated  UNCW sophomore Eda Arli 6-2, 7-5. 

Though matches No. 2 and No. 3 were unfinished, the Tribe won at No. 4 and No. 5. At No. 4 singles, junior Alessandra Anghel defeated UNCW freshman Katelyn Hubbard 6-3, 6-0. At No. 5, Stange won 6-0, 7-5 against freshman Alicia Eberwein. 

Sunday, the Tribe faced Delaware in the finals. 

The Tribe clinched the doubles point. 

Though Fernald and Yu lost to Blue Hens graduate students Eliza Askarova and Alex Staiculescu at No. 1, the Tribe won at No. 2 and No. 3. Seeded second, Stange and Anghel defeated Delaware senior Julieta Honrubia and sophomore Maryia Hrynashka 6-4. At No. 3, Davis and Mejic defeated Blue Hens graduate student Slade Coetzee and freshman Paulina Jurkowska 6-4. 

In singles, Gurholt won 6-2, 6-2 at No. 1, facing Coetzee. Yu defeated Delaware’s Askarova 6-4, 6-0 at No. 2, dominating the second set. At No. 3, Mejic won against Hrynashka with a close second-set score of 7-6. 

The Tribe will continue its postseason competition in the NCAA Regional Tournament Friday, May 3 to Sunday, May 5.