Sports Awards – Men

Male Athlete of the year: Laimis Kisielius; Basketball; Senior

A consistent producer for the Tribe for four years, Kisielius came alive in the CAA Tournament, carrying the College into the championship game. The senior co-captain led the Tribe in scoring at 11.3 points per game, but in the tournament Kisielius erupted, averaging 16.2 points per game.

His game-winner against Virginia Commonwealth University put the Tribe in the CAA title game and his play in the first half against George Mason University kept the College in the game. He received All-Championship Team honors and also earned a spot on the All-CAA third-team. Kisielius finished with 1,133 points, placing him 22nd all-time at the College. He also ranks fifth in minutes played at the College. Above all, Kisielius helped the program continue last year’s momentum, showing the league that the Tribe can win big games and knock off the league’s best. For a program which had won only three CAA tournament games, Kisielius’s play helped the Tribe double its tournament win total and reach uncharted territory, vaulting the College into the spotlight of a nationally televised game, a feat unimaginable at the beginning of the year. His leaner off the glass against VCU will be long remembered by the Tribe faithful.

Men’s first team

Mike Sheridan, Baseball, Junior

As of April 24, Sheridan has compiled a .435 batting average with 18 doubles and 11 home runs through 42 games. The junior has driven in 53 runs while slugging at a .750 clip and struck out a meager seven times. Just as proficient out in the field, the first baseman sports a stellar .990 fielding percentage on 370 putouts.

Christo Landry, Cross Country, Sr.

Landry saved his best race for last at the NCAA Championship meet in November. The senior finished 13th overall, joining Hal Michael ’71 and Matt Lane ’01 as the only Tribe runners to place in the top 15 at nationals. Landry earned his third All-American award with the performance.

Jake Phillips, Football, Junior

Phillips earned third-team All-CAA honors thanks to offensive numbers like his 2,801 yards passing and 24 total touchdowns. Phillips efficiently moved the Tribe offense with his arm, averaging 254.6 yards per game through the air, while keeping broken plays alive with his excellent scrambling ability.

Men’s Second Team

Price Thomas, Soccer, Sophomore

Alex Cojanu, Tennis, Senior

David Schneider, Basketball, Sophomore

Brent Paladino, Golf, Junior

Men’s Rookie team

Andrew McAdams, Soccer

Earned CAA All-Rookie honors after holding teams to 0.87 goals per game and compiling seven shutouts.

Alan Koger, Soccer

This CAA All-Rookie selection ranked second on the team with 13 points and five goals.

Brandon Parker, Golf

Named CAA Golfer of the Week after placing fifth at the FMB Intercollegiate with a two-round score of 143.

Tim Norton, Baseball

Has compiled a 4.61 ERA and 4-1 record while striking out 24 batters through eight appearances this season.

Next year’s best

Jake Phillips

Phillips got off to a blistering start last season before injuries to the Tribe’s receiving corps and running game threatened to derail his playmaking ability. Despite handing off to freshmen throughout the year, Phillips still turned in strong numbers. The expected return of senior wide receiver D.J. McAulay and senior running back DeBrian Holmes, coupled with a new offense designed to highlight Phillips’ aggressive style, could lead to a monster 2008 season for the Tribe’s quarterback.

Written by Miles Hilder, Andrew Pike and Carl Siegmund.