SDS discusses Reveley, BOV

Last night, members of Students for a Democratic Society met to discuss what actions should be taken to oppose the recent appointment process that selected Taylor Reveley as the permanent president of the College of William and Mary. At the meeting, SDS members discussed their frustration with both the lack of transparency in the BOV’s selection process and the absence of student opposition on campus.

Although the group does not believe that anything can be done to reverse Reveley’s appointment, they think that changes should be made to the presidential and BOV selection processes.

“I want to hold the BOV accountable,” said Pablo Fierro ’10, who is leading the efforts within SDS. “I want to have a dialogue with the BOV.”

The group’s grievances do not lie with Reveley, but rather with the process through which he was selected.
They have considered several possible courses of actions. SDS is planning protests and a flyer campaign around the Sept. 25 BOV meeting. In addition, they hope to send a letter expressing their frustration with BOV Rector Michael Powell ’85 to Virginia legislators.

In order to increase awareness of the issue, SDS also wants to involve other student groups.

“A negative campaign by itself wouldn’t be very successful,” Margaret Smith ’10 said. “We want to have the positive aspect of student and faculty involvement.”

There has been little student opposition to Reveley’s appointment compared to last semester’s efforts following former President Gene Nichol’s resignation in February. SDS and several student organizations held protests and wrote petitions. There was much discussion about how students and faculty would be included in the selection of the new president. There has been little public opposition to Reveley’s appointment.

SDS plans to attract student attention by putting up flyers, involving the Student Assembly and contacting Williamsburg media. SDS is also considering the formation of a new group to face the issue. As a national organization with a radical reputation, SDS believes that a more inclusive group would attract attention and promote student involvement.

“I feel like this is something that needs to be discussed with the students, and this is the only organization that is doing something about it,” Marc Presler ’10 said.