Slawter sworn in as SA vice president

**Update, Sept. 23, 8:12 p.m.:** Kristin Slawter ’09 was approved unanimously by the Student Assembly senate this evening. She was immediately sworn in by Chief Justice of the Review Board Billy Mutell ’09.

Student Assembly President Valerie Hopkins ’09 has nominated Kristin Slawter ’09 for SA vice president, filling a position vacated by Zach Pilchen ’09 earlier this year.

“It was something I’ve always wanted to do, since freshman year,” Slawter said of serving in the executive. “I’ve watched this organization for some time.”

Slawter, who currently serves as vice president for advocacy for the class of 2009, was chosen among a pool of over 40 applicants from the College’s student body.

“She embodies the balance I was looking for,” Hopkins said. “She’s been outside the inner drama.”

Slawter has served in a number of positions as an undergraduate at the College, including as an elected class officer, chairwoman of the Student Alumni Council, and promoter of the “my1693” network to alumni.

In a joint interview, Hopkins and Slawter said that they plan focus on improving students’ experiences at the College and working on the budget cuts that currently threaten the College’s finances.

“We’re working to ensure that the student experience is a little bit changed. We think students are very networked into the College during their four years, but that after that there isn’t much of a connection,” Slawter said. “We need to make that experience past the undergraduate experience.”

According to Sen. Walter McClean ’09, one of the members of the vice presidential selection committee, Slawter fit many of the criteria the committee was looking for in its search for a replacement for Pilchen, who resigned following a scandal involving a misused off-campus SA account.

McClean listed leadership experience, compatibility with Hopkins, fresh ideas, enthusiasm and “a willingness to do a lot of thankless work” as factors in the committee’s decision.

Before Slawter can assume the role of vice president, she must meet the approval of three-fourths of the SA senate at tonight’s meeting in Washington Hall. Fourteen senators must vote in approval of Slawter. Senators who are not present will effectively count as votes against the nomination.

If Slawter is not approved, Hopkins would have another 14 days to submit a new nominee, SA review board member Cliff Dunn ’09 said.

According to the SA constitution, “In such cases as the Vice Presidency shall be vacant, either by succession or other reason, the President shall, with the consent of three of every four members of the Senate in office, appoint a new Vice President within fourteen academic days.”

McClean also said he doesn’t expect any opposition from the senate.

The SA meets tonight at 7 p.m. in Washington 201.