Sports in Brief: November 18

Men’s Soccer: Tribe falls to Mason 5-3; garners NCAA tourney bid

Despite losing to George Mason University in the CAA semifinals, the College of William and Mary secured an at-large NCAA Tournament bid and will host Winthrop University Friday night at 7 p.m. Two goals and an assist from junior forward Andrew Hoxie were not enough to propel the Tribe to victory against Mason as the College fell 5-3 Friday night. The College trailed 4-0 in the 38th minute before sophomore midfielder Nat Baako registered his sixth goal of the season. After an early second-half goal for the Patriots, Hoxie tallied back-to-back penalty kick goals two minutes and 43 seconds apart. The Tribe could not pull any closer in a game in which it was outshot 21-13.

Volleyball: Two road losses lower College to fourth in CAA

The College of William and Mary (19-8, 9-5 CAA) lost two consecutive matches for the first time in over a month, falling to Hofstra University 3-2 Sunday after losing against Northeastern University Friday. The Tribe won the second and fourth games against the Pride as junior outside hitter Lauren Powell collected 15 digs and 14 kills, while sophomore outside hitter Erin Skipper led all competitors with 20 kills. The Tribe fell in three games as Powell had a career-high 18 digs to accompany her seven kills against the CAA-leading Huskies. In the final game, the College pulled within one point at 22-21, but could not overtake the Huskies who went on to seal the victory with a 25-22 win in game three.

Women’s Basketball: Tribe defeats UNC-Asheville, falls to Morgan State

After suffering a disappointing loss to Morgan State University 70-48 Friday, the College of William and Mary earned its first win of the season against the University of North Carolina-Asheville. The Bulldogs built an early eight-point lead against the Tribe, but 15 points and nine rebounds from senior guard Courtney Portell, 11 points and 11 boards from senior forward Dani Kell and staunch defense gave the College a 62-50 victory. Against the Bears, junior forward Tiffany Benson provided the sole spark for the Tribe with 16 points and 14 rebounds in the 70-48 loss in which the College trailed by 18 points at halftime shooting 35.1 percent for the night.