Former Williamsburg Planning Commission chairman found guilty of assault and battery

The next court appearance for Demetrios Florakis is scheduled for 1 p.m. Jan. 7, 2019. COURTESY PHOTO / WYDAILY.COM

Demetrios Florakis, who formerly served as the chairman of the City of Williamsburg’s Planning Commission, was found guilty of assault and battery following a trial Wednesday, Nov. 28.

Florakis was initially arrested after a fight with his wife, Megan Florakis, Oct. 1, near the intersection of Harrison Avenue and Richmond Road. At this time, he ran over his wife in a car and broke her leg, according to Williamsburg Police Department Major Greg Riley.

During his trial, Demetrios Florakis was represented by attorney and Virginia Sen. Tommy Norment and was sentenced to 10 days. His entire sentence was suspended, according to the Williamsburg-James City County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court.

Megan Florakis also had a hearing Nov. 28 on a domestic assault charge related to the same incident, after Demetrios provided photos of bruises she had given him the night before the Oct. 1 altercation. Megan was found not guilty on the charge, and her three protective orders against her husband were dropped.

The next court appearance for Demetrios Florakis is scheduled for 1 p.m. Jan. 7, 2019 in the Williamsburg-James City County Circuit Court. He will face a felony maiming charge, which was certified following a preliminary hearing Nov. 2.

Previous articleA walking tour of the College of Mary
Next articlePalace Farms site to introduce new Colonial Williamsburg event venue
Avatar photo
Sarah Smith '19 served as The Flat Hat's Editor-in-chief From January 2018-February 2019. Previously she served as news editor and associate news editor, and has been recognized by the Society of Professional Journalists for her work with in-depth reporting. Smith is a government and gender, sexuality, and women's studies double major from Ashburn, Virginia.