Baseball: College bested by ODU 6-3

Jamie Holt / The Flat Hat

William and Mary experienced its first setback of the season Mar. 10, falling 6-3 to Old Dominion on the road. The loss brings the team’s nine-game winning streak to a sudden end, but it remains the longest string of consecutive victories since the 2001 season.

The College scored two runs off the Monarchs right out of the gate, the first of which came in the third inning, off a deep sacrifice fly from freshman infielder Hunter Hart’s bat. Senior infielder Jason Waldman followed up in the fourth with a single and scored after an error sent him to third base and rookie outfielder Jack Cone singled to right center to drive Waldman home.

Tight defense allowed the Tribe to maintain their lead through the fifth, but the Monarchs struck back in the bottom of the sixth, rallying for three runs on the strength of two hits and a defensive error on the College’s behalf. The Monarchs picked up steam after that, scoring twice more in the seventh after a hit by pitch and two singles put runners in scoring position.

Despite the loss, the Tribe saw standout performances at the individual level, most notably Cone hitting 2-4 with a double and RBI, as well as RBIs from Hart senior catcher Hunter Smith. Defensively the College struggled, with senior southpaw Justin Pearson earning the loss after giving up two runs and a hit in just 1/3 of an inning. However, the Tribe’s freshman pitching once again shone, as lefty Zach Tsakounis went 5.1 innings earning three strikeouts giving up only one earned run and two hits.

Overall, the College may have lost its chance at a record-breaking streak, but the roster remains one of the sturdiest lineups the team has put together in years. Looking ahead, the team will return to Plumeri Park to face Big 12-member West Virginia Mar. 15-17 in what should be, without a doubt, an action packed series.