Men’s golf finishes 14th in Palmetto Invitational

COURTESY IMAGE / TRIBE ATHLETICS

William and Mary travelled to Aiken, GA to compete at the Cleveland Golf Palmetto Invitational. After a weak start, the Tribe was able to improve slightly, finishing in 14th place with an 891 (+51). South Carolina (268, 269, 276) prevailed as the champion of the invitational, finishing with 813 (-27).

Firing a pair of 295s (+15) for a total of 590 (+30) in the first two rounds of the invitational, the College ended the first day at 17th place. Leading the Tribe, sophomore Trevor Hecht carded 145 (+5) after the first two rounds. He began the day with a 71 (+1) and followed with a 74 (+3). Junior Walker Campbell (75,71) and senior David Hicks (74,72) both placed second on the team with 146 (+6) each.

Climbing on day two, Campbell recorded the best round of the day when he recorded a 74 (+4). As a result, he finished the tournament tied for 39th place with a 220 (+10). Hecht was also able to tie for 39th, likewise finishing with a 220 (+10). Hicks was the third best Tribe player at the tournament with a 222 (+12). Hicks and sophomore Otto Voettiner recorded eagles in their rounds on the second day, tying for seventeenth overall — recording 34 pars in the event.

The Tribe will play in its only home event of the season when it hosts the Golden Horseshoe Intercollegiate Mar. 24-26 at the Golden Horseshoe Golf Club in Williamsburg, VA.