Men’s Tennis: Undermanned squad defeated by Georgetown

JAMIE HOLT / THE FLAT HAT

William and Mary (3-13) fell 43 to Georgetown (4-10) Tuesday, April 2, at the McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center. Fielding only five healthy players, the Tribe had to concede a doubles set on court three by forfeit, and a singles set on court six, immediately starting down 0-1. The Tribe looked to build off their comeback win against DePaul on Saturday, but the Hoyas successfully snapped a seven-match losing streak with their road win.  

The doubles set featured a new look for the undermanned Tribe. At No. 2, freshman Oren Vasser teamed up with sophomore Finbar Talcott, and demolished their set, 6-2, against Hoyas Rohan Kamdar and Connor Lee. At the No. 1 position, junior Brenden Volk and sophomore Chen Ruo won 6-4 against Hoyas Michael Chen and Charlie Sharton. In a disadvantaged position, the Tribe won the doubles point and tied the day 1-1.  

As singles began, sophomore Sebastian Quiros demolished Kamdar in two 6-2 sets at No. 1 to give the Tribe a 2-1 lead. Talcott would also defeat his opponent, Lee, in two sets with 7-6 and 6-1 score lines. At this point, the Tribe had a 3-1 lead in the match, and looked to snag a win without fielding a full roster. 

At the No. 2 slot, Volk would fall to Chen in two sets, 3-6 and 4-6. Volk’s double partner, Ruo, was defeated by Chen’s doubles partner, Sharton, 2-6 and 4-6 at No. 5, and revenge for doubles would be enacted. Soon after the Tribe earned a 3-1 lead, the Hoyas stormed back to tie the contest at 3-3, and the match at No. 4 would decide the day.  

Vasser faced the Hoyas’ Andrew Rozanov in that match and fell in the first set 6-2. In the second set, the freshman took a 4-1 lead, but Rozanov went on to win six out of the final seven games in order to clinch a victory for both himself and Georgetown. The Tribe could not pull out an undermanned win. 

The Tribe will play its final road match of the regular season in Charlotte, North Carolina, April 12, and its final regular season match April 14 at home versus Old Dominion. They will honor their lone senior, Tristan Bautil, before the match against the Monarchs. The Colonial Athletic Association tournament will start April 18 in Elon, North Carolina