Best friends to podcast co-hosts: The voices behind “No But Yeah”

COURTESY PHOTO // NO BUT YEAH

Lilly Doninger ’24 and Kendal Sanders ’24 have taken their love of conversation to create a space in which they can discuss any topic at length together without judgment. Advertised as the podcast to listen to while doing laundry, No But Yeah covers “anything that we’re just curious about ourselves or that we’ve had conversations about in the past” as described by Sanders. 

As fate would have it, Doninger and Sanders both spent their freshman year living in Green and Gold Village. Notorious for not only frequent run-ins with roaches and the occasional cold shower, the close quarters of GGV can also lead to the blossoming of close friendships.

Sanders met Doninger one night after being invited into her room by another friend who also lived in the Griffin A dorm building. 

“From that moment, I just knew we were going to be tight,” Sanders said. 

However, it was not until April 2022, almost a year after becoming friends, that Sanders and Doninger came up with the idea to start a podcast together, and No But Yeah was born.

After Doninger and Sanders downloaded the necessary recording software, they booked a room at the Earl Gregg Swem Library, recorded their first episode, and it was uploaded an hour later. 

The format of the podcast has evolved since the first few episodes that were more structured beforehand with specific talking points. 

“I feel like lately we’ve just been free-flowing, and that’s been so fun,” Sanders said.

Yet throughout each episode runs a common theme relating to pop culture that connects the different topics that are discussed. 

“It’s pretty heavily influenced by whatever we’re listening to or watching,” Doninger said. “TV shows usually bring up a lot of good points for us to hit.”’

Right now, Doninger and Sanders plan to invite people they know personally and want to hear their thoughts on a specific topic as well as any “campus superstars,” as Doninger put it. 

Doninger and Sanders credit their shared sense of humor and strong friendship dynamic for how well they are able to maintain conversation during their podcast episodes. 

“We’re just always asking each other random questions or hypothetical situations, and I feel like we push back on each other when there is something that we don’t agree with,” Doninger added. 

In agreement, Sanders expressed that the two frequently have seamless conversations. 

“When we get started on a topic, it’s just flow, flow, flow, flow, like just really good banter,” Sanders said.

However, what can disrupt the flow of a conversation are small colloquial pauses such as the word “like,” which is where the title of their podcast, No But Yeah, gets its inspiration from. Sanders noted that No But Yeah is a play on these colloquial pauses that make up “girl talk.”’ 

“A lot of people are always like, ‘Oh, because you say ‘like” too much you’re not intelligent,’ or because you have these stupid filler words whatever you’re saying isn’t important,” Sanders said. “Lilly and I get into some deep topics, some serious topics sometimes, and you’re still going to listen anyway, you’re still going to get what we’re saying, even with all of our frilly little, girly language.”

The title also represents the duality of Doninger and Sanders’ opinions on several of the topics that they discuss each week, in which they often take the middle ground. 

“It’s okay that you disagree with something but also agree with something at the same time, like I feel like we as humans shouldn’t be choosing one side or the other on so many issues,” Doninger said.

Doninger describes No But Yeah as a “vocal journal,” or an open environment that encourages discussion of myriad topics from different perspectives. 

“I feel like the idea is to think about the things you haven’t thought about and challenge them,” Doninger said. “Kendal and I also have very different perspectives on a lot of issues because we come from very different backgrounds.”

Sanders further discussed how No But Yeah serves as a platform for diverse perspectives. 

“All human beings are social theorists, we’re all making observations, and I think we all have authority to talk about our reality and our interactions and relationships,” Sanders said. No But Yeah is just giving space to do so, and making other people super aware that they too have something to bring to the table, something that they can agree with or disagree with.”

So far, their audience is mainly made up of fellow students at the College of William and Mary. However, No But Yeah has received recognition beyond the College, which has opened the door to some unique opportunities, such as Doninger’s internship as the podcast editor for the Defense Entrepreneurs Forum. Doninger’s friend in her sorority recommended her to the director of the organization, who fell in love with their episode on Love Island and offered her an open intern position. 

The two further expressed the profound fulfillment they derive from the new connections that they have made through their podcast. Sanders and Doninger delighted over meeting fans of their podcast in real life. 

“I think that something that gives us so much joy is when we’re out, and people that we don’t even know will just come up and be like, ‘you guys have the podcast, I loved that episode,’” Sanders said.

Sanders also talked about the importance of these new connections after a time of COVID-19 isolation. 

“Especially because we had such a hard freshman year where I felt like I was so closed off to everyone at William and Mary, like it does make me feel like ‘Oh my god I finally have the college experience, people know who I am,’” Sanders said.

As for the future of No But Yeah, Doninger and Sanders want to eventually incorporate more audience feedback. Currently, they have an Instagram account (@nobut.yeahpodcast). 

“The thought is that maybe one day, that would be more of a forum for commentary,” Doninger said.

Doninger and Sanders are hopeful for what is to come with No But Yeah

“There’s no limit to what we can do, I feel like this podcast has proved that if you want it just go and get it,” Sanders said. “If you have something that you’re passionate about, literally just go for it.”