College releases Class of 2027 decisions, reports 32% acceptance rate

JAMIE HOLT / THE FLAT HAT

Friday, March 24, the College of William and Mary released regular decision results to prospective students’ applicant portals. The College received over 17,500 applications this year with an 18% increase in Early Decision applicants, making for a total of over 1,400 applications across Early Decision I and II. Admission for Early Decision applicants increased 10% from last year’s class, with over 600 students offered admission through this process. 

Compared to a 33% overall admission rate for the Class of 2026, 32% of applicants gained acceptance into the Class of 2027. The College expects to welcome around 1,650 students this fall, 40% of which identify as students of color and 6% of which are international students. After the College announced on March 2, 2023 that it would extend its test-optional admission process indefinitely, around 30% of this year’s applicants applied without standardized test scores. 

Student Assembly president Sydney Thayer ’24 expressed her excitement following the admissions decisions in March. 

“With each new class of W&M students brings a whole new set of diverse experiences, interests and perspectives that allow our community to learn and grow,” Thayer wrote in an email. “We are so excited to hear their fresh perspectives and hope to do everything we can to support them as they find their community, explore their passions, and kick off their time here at W&M!”

The College hosted its You Belong event on April 14 and Day for Admitted Students (DFAS) on April 15, 2023. DFAS included tours, information sessions, family welcome events and open houses to provide the Class of 2027 with an overview of the College experience. On April 17, 21, 24 and 28, the College will hold its Green and Gold Days to provide admitted students with the opportunity to attend mock lectures, hear about various services across campus and experience the College in a more personal way. 

According to a University News press release, the Office of Undergraduate Admission expects to welcome over 6,000 visitors to tour the College during the first half of April.